Tony Franklin Signature Bass Club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fletz, May 3, 2011.

1. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    None - but willing to discuss!
    Fellow Talkbassers, I haven't owned a bass that I liked enough to start a club that didn't exist here on the site. I am part of a club for a lot of my basses (maybe all, I dunno). But, I couldn't find one for the only bass I've bought twice: my Tony Frankin Fretless! I bought one last year. Got GAS. Sold it. Missed it immediately. Just sold one bass to buy my new (to me) Tony bass. I truly believe this is one of the best basses Fender is making. Love the Jazz pup.

This club is open to fretless and fretted Tony Franklin players.

Numbers:

Fletz: #001
    Andyman: #002
    JFN: #003
    Pitter_Patterns: #004

Here's mine (from crappy cell pix). Better pix will appear later.

Attached Files:

2. TonyFranklinFan

TonyFranklinFan

Indeed, I had the sunburst model a couple years ago...I do wish they had made it active/passive. Otherwise built like a tank! Good purchase.

3. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Damn! I thought you'd be member #2 with a name like TonyFranklinFan!

4. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    No one else has one of these? Have to admit what I'd really like to see is an unlined fretless version of the AmDlxP, but this is pretty close to that spec. How heavy is your black one?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric Supporting Member

I've lusted over the TF if that counts. I've yet to see a new one in stores because, from what I here, Fender hasn't made a whole lot of these.

7. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I guess I'm lucky to have found 2! I'm shocked there's no other TF players here ...

8. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member

9. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
  10. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member

11. Xavier Zed

Xavier Zed

Fletz I'd join up but you just bought mine :)

12. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Consider yourself an honorary member!

Let me ask: like me when I sold mine, do u miss it?

13. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

My TF Fretless has just returned to me. I sold it a little over a year ago and the new owner hadn't been playing it much. He kindly offered me the opportunity to buy it back, and so it has returned.

John

Attached Files:

14. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Numbers:

Fletz: #001
    Andyman: #002
    JFN: #003
    Pitter_Patterns: #004

15. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Almost bought the burst a year ago while I was in LA. Played one at a store - that's when I fell in love with the bass - then bought my first one in black about a month later.

16. Pitter_Patterns

Pitter_Patterns

Hey People,

I picked up a Tony Franklin Fretless in sunburst last summer through Kijiji. Like JFN's client, the previous owner wasn't playing it very much either.

I totally see what you mean, Fletz. Where's the love for these basses? My TF is easily the most versatile instrument I own and an absolute pleasure to play!

Believe it or not, I'm new to the world of Fender but am loving this bass so much that I'm now considering picking up the fretted version. I had a chance to play one in New York two weeks ago and once it was in my hands, I could barely put it down!

Quick question: How do you guys set the intonation on your fretless TFs?

On the Fender website it says that side dots are at the fret locations, but when I set the intonation to the 12th fret (between the two dots), the saddles end up pretty far back and appear to bunch up at the back of the bridge. Am I doing something wrong? I hope I haven't damaged my bridge or neck by doing this. I've been spoiled with frets for years, so this unlined fretless is an entirely new creature for me. What do you recommend?

Thanks and take care!

Will

Attached Files:

17. bassist4dalord

bassist4dalord

I would love to buy a black one and put a white three-ply pickguard on it.

18. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Want a number, Will?

19. Pitter_Patterns

Pitter_Patterns

Sure, Pete. Thanks. Any recommendations on how to set the intonation for this bass? I like having the dots as reference points, but have a feeling that I've set the saddles improperly. I figured I'd ask some fellow owners before taking it to my local store. Feel free to PM me if you have any suggestions. Thanks! :)

20. Fletz

Fletz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Pitter_Patterns is #004!

Good question on the intonation. I almost never do major setups on my basses - I have a guy in my local shop who is phenomenal. I am bringing a jazz bass into him this weekend to be setup. I'll ask him for you. (and for me!)

21. JFN

JFN Supporting Member

RE: Intonation. I always set this myself. As good as my tech is, his fingers are not the same as mine when it comes to setting intonation. It goes without saying to tune the open strings. I use my index finger, specifically the middle point on the tip and place it basically on top of the dot that is closest to the bridge (you'll recall the twelfth position marker has two dots). I used to target the position in the middle of the two dots and that works well too.

Then move the saddles forwards or backwards as needed to get it in tune. I also do a "sanity check" by checking out other positions such as the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th. Realize though that when trying to be "in tune" at the end of the neck around the first few positions line of sight impacts where you are placing your fingers and you may need to adjust forward a little. Once you get the bass set up so you know basically where to land for best intonation, turn things over to your ears as much as possible.

One exercise I do for ear training in to put on Flamenco Sketches by Miles Davis and play it in the dark. The long time on each chord change gives you time really listen to your pitches and move around the chord tones. If this isn't your things, just find something that works for you.

John