1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tony Levin growl

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sonicblue62, Dec 4, 2013.

1. sonicblue62

sonicblue62 Supporting Member

Buenos días bass brethren,
    Aside from (what I presume to be) his bowed NS upright and his wickedly talented chops, what else might Tony Levin be using in his signal chain to achieve the sweet, snarly, guttural growl that starts at approximately 6 minutes and 45 seconds into the following video?

I know he likes the EHX bass Big Muff, but I wonder if there is anything else here. Thanks in advance!

2. jaypee

jaypee

It almost sounds like he's using a bow and a decent helping of some sort of fuzz.

Those glissandos are wicked but he seems to be getting up there in the register (or is that some sort of feedback sqeal?)A Whammy of sorts?

3. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

He's just digging in hard with the bow sul ponticello on the NS upright, and occasionally playing gliss'd harmonics (sliding his finger up & down the string while touching it lightly, not pressing it down to the fingerboard). Don't think there's any overt outboard fuzz/distortion involved at all there...though I suppose he might have kicked some subtle dirt in just to emphasize the grit that occurs naturally when you bow that way.

4. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

That particular bit was actually his old Russian Big Muff. He didn't move to the Deluxe until just recently. BLS is what really got me into Levin! Great tune.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Yep, that's it.