1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tony Marino?

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by bassgeek, Nov 23, 2003.

1. bassgeek

bassgeek

Hey everybody,

Does anyone know anything about the bassist, Tony Marino? I saw him last night with Dave Liebman's group and he was killing. He played an equal amount of electric upright as acoustic upright, often playing the electric through some effects. I was just curious if anyone knew of his playing in other situations besides Liebman's group.
    Thanks
  2. bad dog

bad dog

It's nice to see someone mention Tony's playing. He's a great player who definitely deserves wider recognition. He's able to get way inside the music and lays a DEEP groove in any music he's involved in.

I've had the good fortune to get to know him well over the last 10 yrs., after studying with him for a couple of years. Lessons with him were a whole day affair of hanging out playing and talking music, with a nice meal in there somewhere (he's a damn good cook too).

His playing with Liebman is on a really high level, considering the challenge of dealing w/ Lieb's harmonic and rhythmic conception where alot of the tunes have altered/stacked chords, and are in odd time or have odd-time sections. A bunch a composed-through stuff to keep on track of too.

He's played with some other greats of this region of Pa. like Phil Woods, Bill Goodwin. He's spent the last 10 yrs as Liebman's bass player.

I guess the best thing I could say about him is that as great of a musician that he is, he's a better person, very humble and all about the music.
  3. edge83

edge83

Amen- that band made me want to play jazz, and I've seen Tony so many times over the years as I grew up close to the Deerhead Inn and the annual COTA jazz festival just next to it. he does it all incredibly well- it's almost hilarious at that festival.. as though playing Liebman's music isn't enough, he'll destroy several big band charts, play some beautiful arco at some point, then play electric with another group.. grooving incredibly hard, slapping, etc.. you name it. He can go completely modern and out or bebop through several choruses on either axe.. and yes the nicest guy in the world.
  4. damonsmith

damonsmith

Seriously great bass player! He is a great arco player, too. The only youtube with arco has his back to the camera. This is good, he has some great recordings with Liebman on Hatology and Emanem:
  5. gerry grable

gerry grable Supporting Member

I've known Tony since he started playing with Asparagus Sunshine, an early jazz/rock group, at Ed Joubert's, The Bottom Fox in DWG under the guidance of pianist Wolfgang Knittel. The group later expanded to a 13 piece big band- JARO, of which my wife, Judy Lincoln, has been the vocalist since the start, around thirty years. I don't want to repeat myself, I've written about Tony several times on TB, but I was talking with Bobby Avey's ( Liebman's new pianist) step-father last week, and he said that the band is now in Thailand. Tony and Leibman are the only "old guys" left from the old group. Avey, a drummer and a sax player, two youngsters whom I don't know, now make up the new group.
  6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Hey bad dog, couldn't help but notice where you're from. Do you know Rudy Petschauer?
  7. abaguer

abaguer

great player and really versatile. Think he plays around the Stroudsberg PA area and the Deerhead a lot. A quartet he was playing in followed a trio I was in last Christmas and I got to hear him and meet him. Serious cat