1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tony Scherr's Bass

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by ezrs, Oct 25, 2009.

1. ezrs

ezrs

Anyone know anything about this bass?
    A change is gonna come
    It seems to be much more shallow than any bass i have seen.

Thoughts?

2. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

That looks like one of those Knilling "Thinline" basses, or something like it.

3. MR PC

MR PC

That's a copy of the the Gene Vincent and the Bluecaps "Be Bop A Lu La" bass!

4. basstef

basstef

it's a Meisel 8000 fusion bass. Sadly no longer produced. I have one identical to Tony's one. Mine was converted to a removable neck by Bill Merchant. It is a great travel bass.

Attached Files:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Wrong. That is what's known as a "Pre-war Kay". In Your picture.......

+1 on basstef's post. It is the Meisel.

7. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Not so fast there PDUB. :) The one in the photo is a Kay S-100 Thinbody like this 1943 version belonging to Ron Shuffler with the outrageous maple top.

Attached Files:

8. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Could be, Jake.
    I thought your pic bass model had real scroll volutes.
    When I noticed the typical missing volute in the first pic convinced me to try and make that call. Maybe, my old eyes decieve me.
    Hey, you the boss on these babies. I bow to your experience with them. (And don't get any nasty ideas while I'm down there bowing, either. :eek:).

9. thombo

thombo

i worked w/ tony and the bill frisell trio last spring. i don't recall the brand, but it is an older bass (it isn't a kay, he said he actually traded an M-1 for it). he also found a luthier who makes a DB w/ a detachable neck, bought a copy of the plans, and had david gage perform the surgery to make travel easier. acoustically, the bass sounded very alive.

for what it is worth, Tony, Bill, and Rudy Royston were all a pleasure to work for- nice, funny, and professional. the show was really great, but the soundcheck was amazing... three top flight musicians pushing the limits on random rock tunes.

10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Yeah, the missing volute fairly hollers 'Kay', doesn't it? I believe they only made ~50 of the Thinbody models.

And I'm not getting any ideas wicked Uncle - you're too old for me! :D

11. ezrs

ezrs

very interesting, seems like there are a number of manufacturers that made these "thinline" basses.
    could anyone tell me where i could find a bass like this still in production?
    even a luthier's name would help.

thanks all, you have been very helpful!

12. MR PC

MR PC

Musician's Fr**nd was selling one a while back $999 with a Realist. Labeled "Silverlake" I think. Probably made in Asia. They are floating around.....not so sure of the quality though.:)

13. Paul Warburton

Paul Warburton

Cool.
    Rudy is a Denver guy, as is Ron Miles the trumpet/coronetist on some of Bill's stuff who kind of mentored Rudy here and who I'm doing a new side with along with Guitarist Dale Bruning, who in turn, mentored and was a teacher to Bill. Ron plays on my quartet side "Speak Low" also.

14. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Bill Merchant sells a travel bass like this. It's made by Upton.

15. Scott McC

Scott McC

I'm often wrong, but I believe Shen is making it? I read an article about it in Bass Player maybe 2 issues back. It's a damn good idea whoever makes it, thats for sure.

16. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

17. MR PC

MR PC

18. thombo

thombo

yeah, Ron sat in for some of the set that night (boulder theater). as a trumpeter, he obviously didn't need any backline. i didn't know that Rudy was local though, that's cool. i got to work w/ Bill & Rudy over the summer as well (telluride jazz) in a trio w/ violinist Eyvind Kang. a great show, but i would have liked some more low end.

19. MR PC

MR PC

Well Paul, it looks like YOU were wrong then.

20. Don Higdon

Don Higdon

Musician's Friend is a name for Inderal.

21. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

Wasn't there a great luthier making these back in the day, say late 1800's, French maybe?