Too aggressive for a Jackson?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WayneS, Dec 20, 2012.

1. WayneS

WayneS

I'm a hard player. Think Steve Harris.

I've played Fenders for years and thought I'd try something new.

I bought a Jackson JS3. Adjusted the neck and action (I'm well versed on the adjustments), and... I cant play it.

Apparently my hands are just too heavy for it. Great bass if I played with a pick. But I dont and wont.

I'm not interested in adjusting my playing style. I dont play the way I do on purpose... It just happened that way.

The bass, with its active circuitry, still dont have near the ass behind it as my P (SD 1/4 pounders) does. I'm new to active basses though... that could be a settings thing. i do however wish I had bought a JS2 instead.

Anyway... just ranting.

2. IPYF

IPYF

Sounds like you just don't like it? Maybe take it back.

Or in less practical advice you should sell your car/significant other and buy a Caparison Dellenger.

3. WayneS

WayneS

Its not so much that I dont like it. Just more disappointed really. Maybe it'll grow on me.

I wonder though if I can convert it to a passive bass. Just disable the electronics altogether.

4. Tupac

Tupac

If it doesn't fit your playing style, don't play it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Does is have an onboard EQ? If so, bump up the bass frequency knob.

Also, adjust the pickups and get them into the sweet spots. And try new strings.

If all that fails, just return it and get another P or a jazz.

7. the wako kid

the wako kid

how do you play? describe your style,and what the problem is.

8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Steve Harris actually plays with a very light touch and very low action.

9. the wako kid

the wako kid

but he looks like he plays really hard. I think he meant to say geezer,I've seen that guy literally whack his strings with his entire hand.

10. RNV

RNV

Disclosures:
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    Try messing with the pick up heights.

11. Wallace320

Wallace320

I now got a luthier made Fender parts Precision in the West Ham United Steve Harris rendition

West Ham United dressing is hand made there, Leo Quann's BadAssII bridge is there, mirror pickguard is there as well my own touches being MIA nitro finished Fender 21 frets Precision Deluxe bird's eye maple neck and fingerboard, Seymour Duncan Antiquity split pickup, Gotoh Vintage open gear tuners and 45-105 mid flat strings

You can beat the heck out of it, and it still delivers the goods!

Back in the '90s I owned a MIJ Jackson Concert XL (P/J Dave Ellefson replica) beautiful instrument, ultralow action, himass bridge etc...

It just couldn't shine, unless I played it with a pick (which everyone can do - me too when it was requested for repertoire sake) except that it simply doesn't unleash my fury, so I play fingerstyle instead, and when your fingers get used to, you just kill that way!

So yes
    Your bass is indian cedro:spit:(mine was poplar:spit:) so no surprise they just don't... howl
    A passive JS2 can be enhanced via pair of Teslas or EMGs, an active JS3 will suffer from poor electronic unless you swap that one out as well, but then you'll end up spendin' more than your bass' price tag

Cheers,
    Wallace

PS @ Epitaph:
    no
    my Steve Harris West Ham, let my touches alone, was faithfully reproduced down to the mainman precise specs... and he has a "poundin' touch" (that's why he adopts flats: it's no fashion, it's necessity) and by consequence his action is... very high

12. amimbari

amimbari

a nice discussion. I have played jackson basses forever. metal/rock, hell I've even use it for orchestra, 50's doo-wop, and pretty much anything else that was asked of me to play on it. pick/fingers, I don't think I have ever had one "fight with me"

HOWEVER, a JS3? I would never use one without tossing the preamp out and using it passive with my favorite pickups.

If I wanted to buy something new with a preamp I would have shelled out the extra 50 bucks and bought a CBX. sounds totally different and much better IMO.

13. Wallace320

Wallace320

+1
    It's a different bass in tonewoods and more:hyper:

I tried JS2s out more than JS3s already thinkin' about pickups to swap in, but for instance a Jackson I love (and sometime I'll
    eventually get) it's the Chris Beattie signature (I'll just need a Hipshot GB7 bass extender and a full step downtuning and I'll be good to go)

Yet Jackson experienced a few... "ups and downs" in quality, to say the least

Amimbari I know I can count on you for everything concerning the label range of products

Cheers,
    Wallace

14. amimbari

amimbari

I'm waiting for a kellybird js2 in blueburst to be for sale used.
    I was actually hoping that someone close to me would own one so I could see if one of my finned necks would fit. If it does then I would buy it cause I don't like the block inlays.