Too Many Music Sub Genres?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by PortlandBass77, Jan 24, 2014.

?

Too Many Sub Genres?

1. YES!

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. NO!

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  3. I DON'T CARE ABOUT SUB GENRES!

12 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

Is it just me or are there way too many sub genres popping up recently? Recently I was having a conversation with an acquaintance about good new bands and he mentioned "post hardcore punk rock", "post hardcore screamo death metal", and "electric vibe fusion jazz grunge". Seriously, what does that even mean? Is "post hardcore punk punk rock" rock that isn't as good as classic rock but with punk style lyrics and vocals? I just think this goes wayyyyyyy too far, any opinions here? This hasn't just happened, there are plenty of older redundant sub genres also like "speed metal". Seriously, has there ever been a metal band that doesn't play fast at least sometimes?
  2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I remember seeing an interview with Ozzy over 20 years ago and he was talking about all the different genres of metal. "There's heavy metal, there's thrash metal, there's speed metal, there's black metal. What's next? Washing machine metal?"

When someone asks me what kind of music our band plays, I respond with "washing machine rock".
  3. bostonasphalt2

bostonasphalt2 Supporting Member

I think the continued dividing of genres is just bull crap done so that people can sound like they know what they are talking about. "No, that band isn't death metal, it's blackened death metal"......seriously, it's absurd and most of the genres are not different enough to warrant their existence in musical lexicon.
  4. avvie

avvie

The sub genres are silly as are the children who argue about them.

If you think it's bad in the rock realm, go see what happens when you misclassify a high energy dance tune in front of a house DJ. Those guys are just downright insane about it....the sub genres go on and on and on....
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Personally I am into classic/post/grunge either that or death/country
  7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Musical genres continue to divide and subdivide, as newer forms are continually being derived from the older forms. So yes, at a certain point, the "five adjectives plus a noun" approach to identifying the latest sub-sub-sub genre becomes pretty nonsensical and silly.

On the other hand, there are no rules here. It's just a way of thinking about music in order to identify its influences, and to put it more or less into a category. It doesn't mean that you're obligated to buy into the consensus - or even to acknowledge it as such. :eyebrow:

MM
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I agree with you guys here, it goes too far. Many ask what type of music my band plays and I just tell them hard rock. My guitarist will argue this as he is always seeming to try and make it sound like we're inverting a new genre. Really?!? I have no idea what post hardcore punk/metal means. I don't know what post anything means. I know metal, punk, rock n roll, hard rock, rap, country, the blues, jazz etc etc......Yes some bands don't always fit into those specific categories but theres no reason to try and label it some new sounding "post" something or other. IMO most bands out there can be plopped into one of those main genres above to different degrees. I think some people try to hard to be "different" or think "outside the box" when it's just not that complicated. Sure, there's a ton of variety out there but I don't find it necessary to try and create a label for it. It's all rooted and or inspired by something that came before it rather it me music or something art related.
  9. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

On our FB page, we were trying to decide how to describe ourselves. We finally settled on "heavy rock" but our singer didn't want to be labeled. If you just put "rock", that means nothing really. So we changed it to "alternative rock" which I really don't like, but everyone else is happy. As long as "rock" is somewhere in there, I'm ok. I couldn't convince them to put "washing machine rock".

I don't think more than one adjective is necessary for any genre of music. Unless it's washing machine.
  10. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

I used to play rock, but lately I have really gotten into partially pre post grungified death core metal thrash rock, with a slight hint of heavy outercore semi speed sludge pre screamo acid glam.

What bums me out is, there is another band down the street playing that exact same genre! So I guess I will have to move onto something else. :meh:
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    To me it's all still just disco, or rock.
  12. CAPTAIN FLASH

CAPTAIN FLASH

Rock metal and punk. It's all you need.
  13. ahc

ahc

Where's the carrot genre?
  14. PortlandBass77

PortlandBass77

You mean "Post Carrot Core"? It's the genre where everybody plays a carrot
  15. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Yes. Its music journalists that want to go down in history for coining a genre or just hipsters who like to feel special. I never buy into most of them. Anyway, generally with time if a sub genre is actually valid, it will tend to stick around and gain popularity. I don't think any music genre can be seen as valid until its been around for 10 to 15 years OR if there's many many bands that suddenly adopt the sound. But yeah most of it is just bs, i mean technically you may as well give a genre to any band that doesnt sound exactly like other bands you've heard before.
  16. Stick_Player

Stick_Player

There are ONLY two Genres: Good and Bad.

99.99% of the time it falls into Genre #2.
  17. pfox14

pfox14

I heard a good one the other day - "foot gaze". Apparently, it's when the musicians are so stoned that all they do is stare at their shoes while playing. GIVE ME A BREAK!!
  18. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

I do not judge. I merely recognize it as a sign that music continues to expand and get more diverse, even if some people make a caricature out of it. But you'll find those people in all walks of life.
  19. 456Spectwick

456Spectwick

Smells like old dude and or purists in here. Shoegaze is the term you're referring to.

Post-hardcore is a genre of music that is derived from and has origins in the hardcore punk music genre, itself an offshoot of the broader punk rock movement. Like post-punk, post-hardcore is a term for a broad constellation of groups. Many emerged from the hardcore punk scene, or took inspiration from hardcore, while concerning themselves with a wider degree of expression.

The genre took shape in the mid-to-late-1980s with releases from bands from cities that had established hardcore punk scenes, in particular from the scenes in Washington, D.C. such as Fugazi[2] as well as slightly different sounding groups such as Big Black and Jawbox that stuck closer to the noise rock roots of post-hardcore. The style became commercially prominent in the first decade of the 21st century

That definition is essentially saying 'punk rock' but you wouldn't ever see those bands playing a show with a typical punk or rock band
  20. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

From what I can see, coming up with a genre label is very much a marketing exercise and has little to do with the actual music. It's at its worst in metal, although electronic dance music is getting equally bad. It's notoriously difficult to define any consistent musical characteristics of all these subgenres.

A lot of what we call "music genres" don't really refer to the music itself but to the scene the music is created for. That's a phenomenon that goes back at least to 70s punk if not earlier. Everybody playing at CBGB's in the 70s was "punk" by default, but there were wildly different kinds of acts there, from Iggy Pop to Blondie. Actually, thinking of earlier, there was a time when the same song played the same way would be labeled "blues" if a black artist performed it and "rockabilly" or something like that if a white artist did.

I think the phenomenon of micro-genres in the metal world probably indicates either how fragmented the metal scene is - not really stadium rock any more with clear flagship acts like Black Sabbath etc. - or how competitive it is, with artists competing over who's more metal than who.
  21. Stormer

Stormer

In the carrot genre, the bassist is required to play the root (vegetable) only.