Too much bass?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Kolive, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Kolive

Kolive

Hello,
    I am new to the forum and just got a good deal on a Eberhardt Meinel bass. It has been 25 years since I played, Bluegrass, Celtic & country rock. Never thought I'd have a solid wood bass and wonder if this might be more bass than I need. Always thought I'd probably have a Kay but this one sounded so nice and smooth. It feels like I should get into Jazz with this instrument. Am I "over bassed" for bluegrass etc?

Keith in Washington state.
  2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I think you hit the jackpot now you have a bass that can cover everything.
  3. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Be happy that you got such an instrument.

I don't think it will be too loud. If the other player will say so, you can still use a bit less power for plucking. It is much harder to get loud acoustically on a quieter instrument.

If it is too bassy, pluck a bit closer to the end of the fingerboard (or even a bit below) and you get more attack and a bit less bass.

It always takes some time to accomodate to a new instrument. Play your stuff and ask some people (preferably musicians) how it sounded in comparison to your old instrument. I think you will get good responses.

With lower tension strings, most instruments will become a bit quieter. So this is still an option if your bass is too loud for your application.
  4. robobass

robobass

Disclosures:
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I've never thought of good ply's as being quieter than carved basses, at least for pizz, just less clear and transparent. With a carved bass your intonation will be more obvious than with a Kay, so get a bow and practice your scales!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Well, but there are also not so good ply's...
    And missing clearness might get misinterpreted as being more silent.
    All the plywoods I played seemed to be more quiet than the carved basses.
  7. bejoyous

bejoyous

The louder the bass, the louder the whole band.
  8. Andrew McGregor

Andrew McGregor

Carved basses tend to have a brighter, more defined sound that cuts through better... so though it might not be louder, it is easier to hear in the blend. This is a good thing in any kind of music, IMO.
  9. Jason Sypher

Jason Sypher

You're hardly over-bassed. You've got a nice bass now forget about it. It is just an instrument, you are the music. A carved instrument will give you a much broader range of frequencies particularly in the mids. Now go use them to make beautiful music.
  10. Kolive

Kolive

Thanks for all the replies. I took it to Hammond Ashley, found out they originally sold it in 1987, put spirocores on it, got it adjusted and now am playing it an loving it. Hammond suggested planing the fretboard in the E and A string area, so will play it awhile and consider having that done if needed. Right now really enjoying the tone and playability of the instrument.