1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Too much growling low "C"

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Penzer, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Penzer

Penzer

This is my first post here! But i have been reading the forum for years.
    First of all sorry for my poor English. I'm pro in Swedish ;)

I play in a stoner/doom/fuzzrock band consisting of Bass(Me), guitar, drums and singer.

My problem is that my low C just sounds like growling/farting/dead too much compare to the other strings. The growling is from the 12'th Fret (C) down to open C. I can't stand that noise! It's really annoying. Got some fretbuzz but thats doesn't botter me as much as the growling...

I got a Fender Jazz bass CIJ with Dimarizo's Model J's(guitar tech installed them), Badass II, tuned in CGCF.
    I got Rotosound RS66LE 'Swing Bass 66' Stainless Steel 4-String Bass strings 50-110 on it. I play pretty hard with pick/fingers with plenty of bending through Orange AD200 Mk3. (Had the same problem through Peavey VB-2)
    I've tried roll the knobs on the bass but the noise is still there.

My thoughts is: Maybe the pickups is too high or my strings do not fit Drop-C tuning.
    Maybe i need strings with higher tension? Maybe flatwounds?
    I know some of you might tell me to get thicker strings but i can't stand it.

Cheers
    Jimmy

2. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    When I played drop C I used Roto 66 Drop Zone strings. A 110 is way too light for me tuning to C. I prefer a 130.

3. Penzer

Penzer

I had a thunderbird with 130 and didn't felt comfortable with it. I like 110 or even 105.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Does your C string sound better tuned up to D or E?
    If so it's the tuning, not the pickup.
    As much as you hate to hear it, you probably do need a heavier C string. If the others sound good to you leave them the same.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Penzer

Penzer

I just tried it out (have not even thought about it). Tuned to D, it sounds abit better. Tuned to E and the annoying noise was gone...
    Guess i need a heavier C string as you guys says.
    Am i right in that flatwounds got higher tension and therefore will handle drop-C(with .110) better or am i just silly?

7. lz4005

lz4005

Flats don't automatically have higher tension. That's the pounds (or kg) of pull on the string from the tuner. But they are stiffer (harder to bend) because of how they're made.

8. the yeti

the yeti

try a 120 on that C string.

9. Penzer

Penzer

Thanks for the replies guys! I'll try à .120 im afraid :)

10. GK Growl

GK Growl

Are you really sure that's what you want? You say you have Rotsound rounds on now. Flats are going to be radically different in every way.

11. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

.110 is too light. Get yourself a 5 string set with either a .130 or .135 low B and put the B E A D strings on your bass and tune that to Drop C (tuning up in this case).

12. tom once dead

tom once dead

You should check out Circle K strings, especially if you're worried about going too thick, because the gauges go up in really small increments. I've currently got a 112 tuned to C on one of my basses and it sounds and feels great. Plus, having a tension balanced set feels amazing compared to a regular set of strings.

13. Jensby design

Jensby design