1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Too much ideas for my next bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cornelius Dawse, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Cornelius Dawse

Cornelius Dawse

Last summer, I bought an Epiphone Les Paul Special bass, because I wanted a bass that rocks, and it has a sweet Gibson growl that I really dug! But, after 6 months, I grew out of it, found someone to buy it at the end of the summer.
    Since I decided to sell it, I spent MONTHS AND MONTHS reading on here and all over the web what would be my next bass.
    Since all my bass idols uses Jazz, I always wanted a Jazz. I went toward the Modern Player, because of the humbuckers, but the fact that, in my situation, I would be unable to try one before buying was a turn-off. A quick thread made me look for the Classic Vibe or a Mex, and I thought that the Mex would be a great choice (although I have yet to find one for less than 600$, but I don't mind too much,)

So far, no problem.

My problem is that I keep changing my mind. Just today, I wanted a Spector, a Höfner, an Aria, earlier this week, I wanted a Warwick, a Schecter Stargazer, the list is endless, and this has been going for months!

And the morning after, I want a Jazz!

I think I just don't want to have a Fender like everyone. I've always been fond of those 60's looking basses, or to anything that looks like a Ric, which is my dream bass.

And earlier today, I thought that just changing the pick-ups in my Les Paul would solve all my problems.

Can anyone help me? Convince me that, since I always end up wanting a Jazz Bass, that it's the right choice? Or just explain me what the heck is happening to me?

Thank you so much, Talkbass! :D
  2. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

You have what many musicians have called g.a.s(gear acquisition syndrome). basically it's an urge to wanting and buy new bass gear. we at talkbass all have that. and we're not just gassing for bass guitars. we also has been gassing for amps, effects, pick-ups, etc. eventually it'll past once you have found the right gear.
  3. thebrian

thebrian Still can't think of anything good to put here. Supporting Member

I will never stop passing my gas!
  4. Bassic Playing

Bassic Playing

Oh G.A.S, thou art a fickle wench.

Play lots of basses, you'll find one that seems right.
  5. KeithAlanK

KeithAlanK

You don't have a single clue what you really want.
    Admit this to yourself, and all is good.

Spend the next year making friends with other local bassists, with the ulterior goal of testing their basses and amps so you can find your way. Group therapy, and remember it goes both ways--bet there are some local players that would love to try your Les Paul.

Once you find a bass OR an amp that really works for you, it's MUCH easier to zero-in on the rest of your signal chain.
  6. Cornelius Dawse

Cornelius Dawse

Ah, it's the GAS...
    I have that for effect pedals, did not think it would interfere with my choices of bass.
    I guess I should just stop thinking about it.
    *Sigh*

Although, do you guys think that I should try and change the electronics of my Les Paul before buying something else? If I then love the sound, I would keep it, for sure, since it's the only thing I hate about it!
  7. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Here's the beano for GAS:
    1. Log off the forums
    2. Join a few bands and take lessons
    3. Play the heck out of your existing setup

Or, more succinctly, less eBay more Mel Bay.
  8. IAmACrocodile

IAmACrocodile

Can you pin down what it is about the sound that you don't like, and the type of sound which you are aiming for?
    If your current pickups are the same dimensions as the Thunderbird pickups, then there are plenty of good options. Jason Lollar and Mike Lull both make Thunderbird pickups which a lot of people seem to really love. :)

Or if your guitar takes the larger Gibson bass humbucker (commonly referred to as the mudbucker), Curtis Novak's Fatbucker could be the perfect thing for you!

Good luck with your search!
  9. Cornelius Dawse

Cornelius Dawse

...It is just not what I'm looking for! It really has a Gibson growl, reminds me A LOT to Krist Novselic's tone on his Rippers and his RDs, while I realized I'm more of a Fender-like tone. That's why I usually use my Precision a lot more.

In this case, I really think I'll just stick with the original plan, and stop GASing so much.

Except for pedals.
    I'll never end gasing for pedals.
  10. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

Take advantage of 30 day return policies with Guitar Center, Musiciansfriend.com and prymaxevintage.com. You will be out the shipping back and forth generally, but if you really want to try out that specialty gear - it's a great option.

It might be best to start charting out every bass you have owned and what you liked and did not like about it. A simple Excel spreadsheet can help gather your thoughts better and really narrow down your choices.
  11. Cornelius Dawse

Cornelius Dawse

I'm in Quebec, where MusiciansFriend doesn't ship and where GuitarCenters does not exist, but I never even thought about return policies and refunds and all that! That's something I have to consider!
  12. 3star2nr

3star2nr

sound is a very subjective thing with many variables. One of the biggest factors is the amp your plugging into and how the bass is setup and shielded.

It also depends on the kind of music you play. Warwicks are great basses for slap and funk style players, but I have seen them used very effectively for boss a nova and more jazzy kinds of work.

Jazz basses have a warmer less metalic or tinny tone, IMHO they are the best route for rnb and chiller sounding stuff, but again there are many factors, in this case the pickups.

Most schecters I've played are really good for aggressive high gain kinds of music.

So now how to choose, you gotta play them. Weight and comfort and balance are factors you cannot determine online u have to play them. You can get pretty much any bass to sound the way you want if you spend enough time tweaking the amp and get it setup properly.

IMHO I think as musicians we spend way too much time concerned about improving tone rather than improving technique to the point of diminishing returns. One can make an argument that 90℅ of our target audience can't even tell the difference, so the question becomes who do you want to play for and what are your goals.

Get a bass that stimulates creativity and is comfortable and fun to play
  13. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

That's unfortunate that you cannot use those places. Check out every local shop you can. Sometimes a 3 hour trip to try out a few basses is worth it. Look up dealer locations for your brands of interest.

Listen to everything 3star2nr states. Lots of truth right there.
  14. Cornelius Dawse

Cornelius Dawse

Indeed. I'm definitely worrying too much on gear! Haha!

I might end up with a Squier, if that's what I like the most!

Thanks a lot, guys!
  15. 3star2nr

3star2nr

Don't buy a squire I have one and I regret it. By a Mexican fender. Much better quality and lighter.

I'm in the process of saving for a new bass to replace the squire.
  16. Beano_z

Beano_z

Now, seriously, I wouldn't hurt to get something which has good re-sale value (consider 2nd hand). I would go for the Jazz, worst case after half a year you sell it off and don't lose too much.

The search for the 'right' bass will take very long, for some it never ends. You'd better be prepared for what's coming.
  17. Cornelius Dawse

Cornelius Dawse

Well, some circumstances make that I have to play a bit of guitar, so I'm more than likely get a Classic Vibe Jazz, and with the saved money, get a Jazzmaster!
  18. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Maybe you should stop eating beans and you won't have so much gas.:p lol just kidding.
  19. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

I agree. I've played many different bass guitars over the years and I eventually found the right bass guitars for me.
  20. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

I would go to a store and sit down and play every basd there. A jazz serms like a good option though. Probally my favourite bass of all time is a jazz bass.