1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Too much solder on pot...Problem?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pokerdweebz, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Pokerdweebz

Pokerdweebz Supporting Member

Hey guys, I'm replacing the pickups in my MIM Jazz bass and I can't seem to get it to work. I've replaced pickups before, but my soldering/wiring experience really isn't very deep. I wired it up and the neck pickup works fine, but the bridge only gets 10% of the volume it should. It's noticeable that it is turning on but obviously it isn't right.

I came up with a few ideas as to why this is happening

1) There is solder where one of the loop things meets the pot. Here is a photo of where I mean.

[​IMG]

2) The pickup is bad. I can't test it yet since I don't have an ohms tester right now. I'll be getting one tonight.

3) I had another reason, but I think it was stupid so I'm looking into it now.

2. Turnaround

Turnaround

Disclosures:
    Bass Technician, Club Bass - Toronto
    Having solder on that little eyelet is not a problem at all, so long as it is not touching the body of the pot or any of the other connections other than the lug the eyelet is attached to.

3. Pokerdweebz

Thanks for the info. I tried to make sure it wasn't touching anything else but I'll have to triple check.

4. Pokerdweebz

I'm looking at the wiring that is in my bass and the wiring diagrams online and the wiring of the pre-wired control plate I have and it looks like the wiring is complete garbage and missing stuff. There is way too much solder on all the joints and it missing many of the grounding wires on the top of each pot. I'm considering just using my pre-wired control plate I have for another bass and just ordering another.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Rob22315

Rob22315

Focusing on the bridge pickup problem - check the wiring at the blend pot see if you've got it wired correctly.

Unless you're having hum or buzz issues, the bad grounds aren't likely the issue.

If you want to clean up the excess solder, I recommend some solder braid. I don't like the solder suckers but some do. If you aren't having a grounding problem, I'd leave it alone.

7. Pokerdweebz

There isn't a blend pot? It's V V T.

8. Rob22315

Rob22315

Then focus on the V associated with that pickup. :)

9. delta7fred

delta7fred

I was expecting something like this.

[​IMG]
    :bag:

From a Strat that our guitarist bought very cheap.
    The pots and wiring went straight in the bin, the switch worked perfectly after a good clean up and de-solder.

10. Rob22315

Rob22315

That looks like a solder tornado hit it. I've never seen so much burned insulation before. You did the right thing tossing that disaster into the trash.

11. line6man

line6man

Wires are typically not soldered to the eyelets, because they are close enough to the resistive element that the heat from the iron can cause damage to it.

12. Rob22315

Rob22315

It could also be that the pot's fried like line6man implies. Is the V pot associated with the low pickup the one with the solder on the eyelet? Any other signs of potential damage to that pot? Loose wires or cold solder joints?

13. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

I am assuming that you are saying that you have to much solder on the lug and it rand down to the eyelet? If you are not removing the old solder from the lug before soldering the wire from the new pickup it is possible you have a cold solder joint. Go to Radio Shack and get a $10 solder sucker, I consider them a necessity.

14. bassbenj

bassbenj

Wow! that is a first! I've never seen a "solder shielded" pot before! :)

15. line6man

line6man

In the middle ages, metal smiths would cast lead shields to keep out evil hum spirits. The shields were never as crude as what you see here. As it turns out, many of these pots were defaced by the church, who believed that 60Hz hum was actually gift from the lord Leo Fender, and thus, it was dark sorcery to shield a bass.

16. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

+1

You sir, are a magnificent bastard.

17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    YIKE! If I did something like that, I'd spend a week in a hair shirt and self-flagellate for a month. I'm feeling a little woozy just looking at it.

In the OP's case you should get a solder-sucker and suck the extra solder off the tab - it may be shorting against the pot case. About 5 bucks. (I know the picture isn't the OP's bass.)

[​IMG]

Here's what a cavity should look like. It's an Aguilar OBP-3 I put in a BSD customer's Warrior. I replaced the Bartolini that was in it.

[​IMG]

18. bassbenj

bassbenj

Come on Munji! Look at that cavity! Too pretty and sterile for a bass! Where's the "mojo"? As for me that "reliced" Strat cavity is the ONLY way to get serious tone!

:bag:

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I go for clean and modern. Next time, I'll slather some solder all over the pots, enshrining them for posterity. Send me your bass - I'll get you all set up.

20. Rob22315

Rob22315

I think smoking insulation just became legal in Colorado and Washington.

21. Pokerdweebz

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I got a multimeter and it turns out the pickup was bad. I also ordered a solder sucker to get all the extra solder off as well.