1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Took the BEAD Plunge

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Samsquanch1972, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Samsquanch1972

Samsquanch1972 Supporting Member

Since I have an extra PBass I decided to give it a shot, I havr had 5 and 6 strings in the past but always sold them and stayed with fours. Simple to do I have a tiny file set from Harbor Freight and took my time and filed the nut and the E and A string holes on the bridge. Oh I used an old Yamaha BB300. I probably went a little nuts and went too heavy on the string gauges but I figured it is only a 34 inch scale bass. I used the Daddario heavy gauge 110 set for the bottom three strings and a single 145 guage for the Low B. I was hoping to keep the tension close. Anyway really cool to have a low B in the arsenal, and keep the feel of a four banger. I may experiment with using a capo for C, D, E changes on the fly.
  2. QweziRider

QweziRider Supporting Member

I absolutely love using BEAD. It helped me get back that low string without taking a drill to my Rick for a 5 string conversion. I can live much better without the G than I can without the B.
  3. Doodaddy

Doodaddy Supporting Member

If I were ever forced by gun to play a four string, this would be the direction I took.
  4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

For a 4 string I prefer DGCF.

For a 5 string I prefer BEADG.
  5. QweziRider

Ric5, what's the advantage you get of DGCF over BEAD? Is there a bit higher tension that gives you better resonance or am I off track with that?

By the way, I'm not knocking you 4-2-5ers at all. Your work is beautiful. Mine, on the other hand, sucks, so I went BEAD on my last Rick.
  6. 4stringfiend

4stringfiend

D standard is lower tension.
  7. QweziRider

Got it, I think. Just tuning to D with a standard E gauge string?
  8. 4stringfiend

4stringfiend

Yeah, it's dropping all strings a whole step.
  9. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

If you buy single strings to build custom sets through Bass Strings Online or Circle K Strings then your choice of tuning is completely decoupled from your string tension. You can get any tension with any tuning keeping in mind that if you want a very low tuning and very high tension you will need to use very large strings! I've been tuning in fifths (CGDA) for about a year and I agree that it is great to get those low notes on a four string. If you go BEAD on a 24 fret four string then you really only lack a half step compared to the highest note available on those millions and millions of 20 fret EADG four string basses....

Ken
  10. tekdiver500ft

tekdiver500ft Supporting Member

I bought a set of Jamersons, and am thinking about tuning DGCF to reduce tension. They should be perfect for that, still a little heavy and thumpy, but more in line with standard strings (.105 E vs. .110 D).
  11. String Theory

String Theory

The Yamaha BB300 is an excellent platform for down tuning. Mine is set up for F#BEA. Had to change the bridge to accomodate the F#.
  12. 4stringfiend

4stringfiend

I never thought about that, but its very true! :bassist: I'm sure I could sneak it into a jam and nobody will ever know
  13. Samsquanch1972

Samsquanch1972 Supporting Member

I love that 145 guage Daddario for the B string, not sloppy at all.