1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Tool for fretboard/string radius?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rollyolly, Nov 22, 2012.

1. rollyolly

rollyolly

Is there an inexpensive tool for placing on my strings to adjust the saddle heights to be the same as the neck radius?
  2. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Disclosures:
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
  3. Steveaux

Steveaux

Yup.

[​IMG]
  4. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Your eyes. This is not rocket science.
  5. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

6. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Your strings will naturally follow the radius of the board If you set it up well. I've never used a radius gauge for anything more than figuring out what radius a fingerboard was so that I could get a sanding block to copy it.
  7. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

this.

instead, use:
    measure from the bottom of each string to the top of a certain fret (for me it's the 15th); get them all the same distance and you'll automatically have a perfect radius, one that takes into account how the string spread starts out narrow at the nut and ends up wide at the bridge.

you might want to have the high strings a little lower, in which case you get your heights for the smallest and biggest strings, then set each string in between gradually higher under there from the first to the last string.