Tool for testing your knowledge of the fretboard

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by svtown, Jan 18, 2014.

1. svtown

svtown

I thought people here might be interested in a tool I wrote to help myself learn the notes on the fretboard: http://www.tamphan.com/findthefret/?strings=4

I just wanted a way to learn the locations of notes on the neck for particular strings. It's not a very smart tool, so you'll have to check for yourself if you played the right note, but it's easier than using little flashcards (which is what I had before). :)

You can tap the screen to continue (if on a tablet or phone), click the trackpad, or press any keyboard key to continue.
    You can also change the number of strings (so should work for guitar, uke, and bass) and choose if you want accidentals or not.
  2. el murdoque

el murdoque

super simple, yet effective.
    i tried it without playing below the 8th fret.
  3. ryco

ryco

dumb question: which string is considered 1? highest or lowest?
  4. svtown

svtown

Awesome, really glad you found it useful!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. svtown

svtown

I guess it's kind of up to you, but I think 1 is usually considered the thinnest string; and 4 would be the thickest (and closest to you)?
  7. el murdoque

el murdoque

it does not matter. Just dial in the ammount of strings you got and give each a number as you like. Every string has every note and i guess, the note and the string in this script are chosen at random.
  8. pfox14

pfox14

Highest to lowest - 1-4. I didn't find this tool to be very helpful at all.
  9. lyla1953

lyla1953 Supporting Member

10. Fergie Fulton

Fergie Fulton

The traditional method does matter, that is your G string is 1st and the strings number from there, so thinnest to thickest.
    This is regardless of tuning, or any preferred way to look at it.
    It is a point of string manufacture, so all string instruments traditionally will be numbered to suit the string manufacture.

There are have been some changes on sites that want to number the 1st string as the low E so a bass and a guitar can have the same number.
    In practice on a bass the lowest sounding string is an E which is the 4th, but on a guitar the lowest sounding string is also an E but is a 6th.
    So the idea that on both bass and guitar the 1st string would be E, the 2nd A, the 3rd, D, the 4th G, the the guitar would continue with the 5th B, and the 6th high E.

But if you have a 5 string bass then that system is again not matched, against those that wish to change it for ease of use......and again will add to the confusion.

Just see and accept that the thinnest string on your bass is the 1st, so when it is referenced as so you know what is being talked about in traditional use. :)
  11. svtown

svtown

Thanks, that's a nice site. I think of that quiz as "given a fret and a string, name the note."

I made this tool so that I could test myself on "given a string and a note, find the fret."