1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tools and Cold

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by HaMMerHeD, Jan 1, 2013.

1. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Hey folks. So, we've had sub-freezing temperatures for a couple weeks in a row around here. I've also had a number of tool failures in the same period of time. I had a Japanese saw blade snap in half, the table adjustment handle of by bandsaw crumble, broken router bits, a snapped off forstner head, breaking drill bits, and even a broken clamp head.

Have you guys had this kind of thing happen with tools in the cold? Last winter wasn't as cold, and my shop isnt heated.

So is this crap just coincidental?

2. bassteban

bassteban

I've never done cold like THAT- Im from Cali, so I am no expert- but it sure seems a bit beyond coincidence. What kind of numbers are we talking?

Edit: Ah- sub- freezing, I see now

3. sharp8874

sharp8874

The cold might have something do with it. Since some of the tools are starting out cold and then heat they could be under more stress from the rapid change in temp. Also I think I heard somewhere that cold metal is more brittle than warm metal. Just a myth though.

4. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Between 7 and 30 degrees

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

Yep, that would be causing it. Going from cold to really hot by way of friction is causing expansion cracking. Imagine taking a glass dish out of the freezer and putting it straight into a hot oven, it would crack, just like your tools. Get a space heater, or two and fire them up an hour before you hit the shop.

lowsound

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Thanks.

As I am presently without a dust collection system, im not sure a space heater is a very good idea.

8. Jeff Mills

Jeff Mills

Woodworking / finishing really needs to be done in a climate controlled area. You'll be amazed how much wood moves based on external environmental conditions (temperature and humidity).

9. slappa_dat_bass

slappa_dat_bass

I'm an auto mechanic by profession, so take it from me: metal fails in the cold ten times more than when its warm. I don't know if it becomes brittle or what, but it isn't coincidence that I replace more broken tie rod ends, universal joints, ball joints, etc. when the temps drop below freezing.

10. Son of Magni

Son of Magni

Disclosures:
    Builder: ThorBass
    Best to put those forstner bits down your pants for a few minutes first!

11. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

Sounds like a cheap and easy vasectomy.

12. Beej

Beej

I've never actually thought about this before, but then again it's never happened to me before. I suppose its possible, but I worked for seven seasons doing carpentry up north through the winters. We worked down to -40 C and lower a few times, and worked regularly at -20 C and I never experienced tool failures like those described. Trying to work wood at those temps though is like trying to wrangle a greased pig. Thankfully all we did was framing and rough work.

A caveat of my experience is that I worked for a huge multimillion dollar international company so everything we had, right down to our nail punches, was top of the line in quality, which may have affected the lack of breakage. Even inside the shop tents with propane heaters, it would only be a few degrees warmer than outside. Man, looking back, I'm glad I no longer do that stuff!

13. reverendrally

reverendrally

Oil filled bar heater. ;) Takes a little longer, but there is no exposed element.

14. ddtkills

ddtkills

yes metal can stress fracture with extreme changes in temp. You should try being less "aggressive" with your feed rates and cutter/drill speed. that way the metal warms up at a slower rate and can expand at a non critical rate.

+1 on getting a cheap oil filled space heater. they are low temp on the surface and the element is encased in the fluid and not exposed.

15. pie_man_25

pie_man_25

cheap, probably, easy, well, to get it down there I suppose would be easy, but the pain might not be:ninja: