Top 10: hate the 80's band love the song

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chuck norriss, Nov 1, 2012.

1. chuck norriss

chuck norriss Supporting Member

Haven't done a list in a while so here's one in no order:

10. Just Another Day by Oingo Boingo - I always felt it was profound & excellent musically, that rose above their more quirky other songs (see: I Love Little Girls--what the hell man). great bass work btw. But could never take them seriously. aside, Elfman began as music-illiterate. actually he's a genius http://www.americancomposers.org/elfman_interview.htm

9. Shake the Disease, Depeche Mode. I dunt like thems. That Catching Up With Depeche Mode album cover is the worst cover in history. They must regret that ****. I don't even think gay men like them. I wouldn't know. **** it. Good song.

8. Love Missile F111, Sigue Sigue Sputnik. Fake media frenzy over a fake band over fake music? reminds me of milli vanilli who were actually catchy i have to admit. Love Missile made me want to do lines & heat-butt hookers. Recommended.

7. Nobody's Diary / Yazoo
    Alison Moyet is awesome. but that band is actually one dude behind a synth. synth is fine but those sounds they chose were embarrassing then & now. good singing though. And she's still working! Hooray for Alison Moyet!

6. A Girl Like You, Smithereens.
    This song kicks ass. Singer--annoying. Not a good enough reason I know. I'm annoying.

5. Walking In LA - Missing Persons
    Before there was ladygaga there was dale bozzio. her husband's a good drummer. is terry the guy or is dale the guy? a couple & both have dude names.

4. Favourite Shirts (boy meets girl) by Haircut 100. Singer tries to act too cute but good bass work. also see Love Plus One. And by that i mean look it up on spotify.

3. Catch My Fall, Billy Idol
    He's a douche.

2. London by The Smiths. The only punk song they ever made. Can't stand Morrisey. You know I'm right.

1. Maniac - Michael Sembello
    ok the video helps. song not so great. but ahve you seen the video?
    If there was a song or video for the Phoebe Cates scene in Fast Times that would be number 1.

Your turn.
  2. nutso42

nutso42

My brother and I actually compiled a disc for ourselves titled "Insufferably 80's", full of the songs of the 80's we love but most people hate. Track listing was:
    15. Sussudio – Phil Collins
    14. Rock Me Amadeus - Falco
    13. Working For the Weekend - Loverboy
    12. Take On Me - A-ha
    11. Funkytown – Lipps Inc.
    10. Electric Avenue – Eddy Grant
    9. Rio – Duran Duran
    8. If You Leave – Orchestral Maneuvers In the Dark
    7. We Built This City – Jefferson Starship
    6. Final Countdown - Europe
    5. Sunglasses At Night – Corey Hart
    4. Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go – Wham!
    3. Listening – Pseudo Echo
    2. Everybody Have Fun Tonight – Wang Chung
    1. I Ran – Flock of Seagulls
  3. JimK

JimK

Terry Bozzio..."a good drummer"? Understatement of the year.
    You are annoying!
    ;)

I recently read Ken Scott (famous recording engineer)...I had no idea that Scott was MP's manager. A nice Chapter in his book about Missing Persons...their difficulty in getting signed, their rise/fall...how they now regret using too much electronic drums on the 2nd album, etc.
  4. JimK

JimK

Yeah, I rermember. "Hard" not to...
    :eek:

Sembello is "a good guitarist".
    ;)
    IIRC, he's playing guitar & bass on "Contusion" from Stevie Wonder's Songs In The Key Of Life-
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. chuck norriss

Bozzio has a few drums too. I haven't heard him play them all. The only stuff I heard it sounds like he's playing kick snare hat. I'll look into it. Good response
  7. chuck norriss

I think I dislike all of these songs except Iran. Rio has good bass playing in it haven't been to carnivale.
  8. chuck norriss

Is that him on maniac too? It's almost a metal solo. I had no idea he was on Stevie wonder album see I'm learning. I once saw Stevie at a restaurant it was like a king walked into the room. Amazing odd presence. Kate mantilini on wilshire. Th other night I saw Scott pilgrim & young Neal at tropicalia--a Brazilian place. Whatver their real names are. Cool man thanks
  9. chuck norriss

I can't watch on my phone it says the owner of the video made it so you can't. What's that
  10. digitalmoney

digitalmoney

OP Love the picks
    Blood and Roses is my fave Smithereens song
    Lead singer looks like cartoon villain with his beret.
    Had a compilation LP with haircut 100 love+one did like song I had no other cassettes tho

nutso42 50% love 50% hate on your list
  11. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I was a teenager in the 80s and most people I knew loved most of these songs - haven't done a poll recently to see how many of them have sunk into embarrassment status, though.

I'll grant you Sussudio - I always just liked it for Lee Sklar's bass line, but everyone else I know hates it. I don't remember If You Leave or Listening at all. I don't think anybody ever liked We Built this City or Final Countdown. Most folks I knew remember Dance Hall Days but not Everybody Have Fun from Wang Chung. Otherwise I'd say they hold up pretty well.
  12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Thats a good track list that describes the title well. Insufferable!
  13. JimK

JimK

Yes. Michael Sembello is primarily known as a guitarist.

It's just an audio link from Songs In The Key Of Life...works fine here @work.
  14. JimK

JimK

Have you heard Heavy Metal Bebop by the Brecker Brothers?
    ...or the Zappa albums with Bozzio/O'Hearn?

From Missing Persons-
    "U.S. Drag"
    "Racing Against Time"
    "Words" & "Mental Hopscotch", too...
  15. Richland123

Richland123

I can't say I hate the band but I never really followed them.

Men Without Hats - The Safety Dance
  16. Spectrum

Spectrum

Song I like by a band I hate?

"You Must Be Dreaming" by Cheap Trick, from the "Heavy Metal" movie soundtrack.

I have always hated Cheap Trick, but I give them props for this song, which fit the soundtrack perfectly. Of course, for a movie called Heavy Metal there really isn't much metal in it. One Black Sabbath tune (Mob Rules) and a Sammy Hagar tune which is pretty heavy but not metal by today's standards, but whatever...
  17. pflash4001

pflash4001

Damn!!! This is the soundtrack to my middle and high school years! I graduated 1991. I think Duran Duran are pretty underrated as a whole because of the whole pretty boy thing. I also like The Power Station that a few members did with Robert Palmer.
  18. Richland123

Richland123

A couple more bands that were basically known for one really cool and very quirky tune each and then disappeared without having a chance to like or dislike the bands.

Wall Of Voodoo - Mexican Radio

The Vapors - Turning Japanese
  19. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

You had to say that!
    Now it is stuck in my head.
  20. Richland123

Richland123

You're welcome.

Just click here - you know you want to.

21. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I dislike everything on this list except Working For The Weekend, Rio, Sunglasses At Night and I Ran. I do like most of what Loverboy, Phil Collins and Jefferson Starship have done.