1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

top 10 rock bassist (WatchMojo)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Unemploid, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Unemploid

Unemploid

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UpjQmgNxtYw

i'm surprised that queen's bassist made it on the list. he's good, i think he deserves to be on the list. i'm just not in the know. you i've recently been playing queen song. i'm like, i should play more queen songs, because i could learn something from john deacon. what i'm saying is i thought i was one of the few that knows he's good. go play a few queen songs if you haven't.

2. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

John Deacon is responsible for writing two of the most recognizable bass lines in rock: Another One Bites The Dust and Under Pressure. He's one of my all-time favorites.

3. Boom762

Boom762 Hartke Whore - I AM the one who Booms! Supporting Member

I can't argue with who they picked, although I feel they were too broad on their search. How do you throw Thrash metal, alternative rock, british steel, pop rock, prog metal, and classic rock into the same group? I think each of the genres should have had their own list of bassists. I think John Myung, Paul McCartney, and Les Claypool shouldnt be compared to each other. Like comparing oranges to onions.

4. SlappyWhite

SlappyWhite Banned

I would've picked Billy Cox, instead of Les Claypool.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. cronker

cronker

No love for Chris Squire?

7. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

How do you know this?

8. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Quoted from the internet (so it must be true):

"Another One Bites the Dust" is a song by the English rock band Queen. Written by bass guitarist John Deacon, the song featured on the group's eighth studio album The Game (1980).

There has been some confusion about who created "Under Pressure's" bassline. John Deacon said (in Japanese magazine Musiclife in 1982, and in the previously mentioned French magazine) that David Bowie had created it. In more recent interviews, Brian May and Roger Taylor have credited the bass riff to Deacon. Bowie, on his website, said that the bassline was already written before he became involved. Roger Taylor, in an interview for the BBC documentary Queen: the Days of Our Lives, stated that Deacon had indeed created the bassline, stating that all through the sessions in the studio he had been playing the riff over and over; he also claims that when the band returned from dinner Deacon had, amusingly, forgotten the riff, but fortunately Taylor was still able to remember it.

9. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

John Deacon was an absolute monster on bass. The range of styles he could cop, mixed with his excellent sense of melody and musicality, make him one of my absolute favorites.

10. SlappyWhite

SlappyWhite Banned

Whoever wrote Queen's worst song single, must have heard Chic's "Good Times" at some point.

11. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Not according to this music genius/legend (1:45).

12. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

I remember seeing this interview when it aired. His explaination on how the two bass lines differ is classic stuff.

I also remember reading an interview with Brian May telling how he was in a club in London and heard "Ice Ice Baby" come on and everyone on the dance floor went crazy. May said he called his manager early the next morning to find out what was going on.

Rap was kind of in a legal gray area in the late 80s because the original artists weren't getting paid (or giving approval) for their music to be sampled.

13. SoCal1

SoCal1

John Deacon was admittedly in the studio with Bernard Edwards and heard the bassline to Good Times:meh:

14. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I love reading the Youtube comments by people losing their minds because Flea wasn't at the top of the list - or because Paul McCartney did make the list. Funny stuff.