Top 5 Bass Fuzz Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Timpala, Dec 6, 2013.

1. Timpala

Timpala Supporting Member

What are your top 5 favorite bass fuzz pedals? I would have to say that my favorite is the Black Russian Big Muff (Just because it was my first). Second would be the Zvex Wooly Mammoth. I love this pedal. 3rd Would be the new Big Muff Deluxe. The other 2 are up for discussion. What are your picks?

2. Eric66

Eric66

I owned the MXR M182 El Grande Bass Fuzz and the Big Muff (guitar version)

The sound of the MXR was better. Sold both of them because of:
    1. Volume: the difference in volume is often enormous when you switch on the effect. Very annoying when switching between songs
    2. Loosing low end

I am curious about other anwers to come.
    I hope to learn what pedal would be recommended, taking these 2 issues in consideration.
    I have a love/hate relationship with effect pedals because of this. All pedals I owned , even “hard wired by pass” pedals costed me low end.

Never tried a real expensive pedal though….perhaps I should.

3. anton72

anton72 Supporting Member

Just two for me: Duality by Darkglass and Yo're Doom by 3Leaf Audio.

4. TussinBot.

TussinBot.

1: Malekko b:assmaster
    2: small sound bigsound team awesome fuzz machine
    3: wren & cuff pickle pie b
    4: fuzzrocious grey stache
    5: mxr bass fuzz deluxe

Havent yet tried the gnomeratron vtf but it and the 4leaf your doom are on my list

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I've tried a few fuzzes but nothing compared to a lot of the peeps on this board. Of the the ones I've owned/tried I would have to say that I can only pick two a that I would call my favorites and aren't leaving my board. I just a got a new fuzz but I haven't been able to try it.

Anyway, top two are Mcspunckle Gnomeratron VTF and Copilot FX Orbit.

[​IMG]

The Gnome is an awesome mishmash of a Muff making sweet love to a Brassmaster. It's my favorite pedal. You can get anything from light OD to crazy oscillations.

[​IMG]

The Orbit is more of a synth than a fuzz to me and that's why I like so much. You can get gated fuzz sounds, sort of octave down synthy sounds, lazer gun noises, and crazy oscillating messes out of this thing. I love feeding it my Boss PS-6 in S-bend mode set to 2 octaves up. It makes the Orbit do awesome arpeggiations.

I also have a Zoom UF-01 that I like a lot and I just got an Idiotbox Blasteroid that I haven't tried yet. I'd really like to have a Mountain King Magnetar but I can't afford one atm. I'd also love to try the new Darkglass and 3 leaf fuzzes, Team Awesome Fuzz Machine, a bunch of stuff from Idiotbox and Fuzzrocious, and the Diabolik by Malekko and bunch of other stuff. Way too much stuff to list. There are a ton of really nice fuzzes out there. Good luck narrowing it down to 5.

7. ttasselm

ttasselm Supporting Member

1. Wren and Cuff TFR - just has that fat grind I've always heard in my head. It'll always be my favorite.
    2. Wren and Cuff TFR
    3. Wren and Cuff TFR
    4. Wren and Cuff TFR
    5. Basic Audio Foxy Lady - it felt to me like a slightly more cutting/defined version of the TFR and was really, really cool. A different kind of muff. I don't have a desire to own many more pedals than I currently do, but this one would probably be one of the first ones I'd like to buy back.

8. WillyPop

WillyPop

Disclosures:
    Ashdown Amps, Yamaha, Musicman & Washburn Basses
    Anyone for the OnKartGromt Grombass?

Always wanted to try one and I'm gonna wait to see if it gets into any top 5...

9. K-man

K-man

I love my earthbound supercollider. I also have a your doom on order.

10. chaosmic

chaosmic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner at MetalString Sound, Inc.
    My list is based on fuzz that I use for playing live and in rehearsal. My top 5 in random order would be:

Prescription Electronics Depth Charge
    Iron Ether Oxide
    ss/bs TAFM
    Wounded Paw Battering Ram
    Creepy Fingers custom bass Harakiri

I have a 3Leaf You're Doom on order so it could very well end up making this list at some point.

11. JohnDeereJack

JohnDeereJack

My first foray into the world of fuzz was the MXR El Grande which was so awful in every way it put me right off fuzzes for a long time. However I currently have a Tech21 Red Ripper - which I reeeeally like - and after what I've heard on YT etc I'm gassing for an IE Oxide.

12. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

I just got a QE-2 and am digging that. I have a Grizzled Mighty that is real cool.

My favorite might not a fuzz but I really like the Hematoma. And I regret selling my MP Blue Berry.

I also enjoy the HBE Big D. Good fun.

13. BawanaRik

BawanaRik Supporting Member

The Gnome looks real cool.

14. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO