Top Gear tests the McLaren P1

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BassyBill, Mar 6, 2014.

1. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

Media:
    The new UK season of Top Gear started here a few weeks ago. This review is definitely one of the highlights so far. The car is simply astonishing in so many different respects. I hope the video works over there in the US so you can watch this.

2. m0nst3r

m0nst3r

Did you see them test the Porsche 918 Spyder in the latest episode? I think I've fallen in love!
  3. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog Supporting Member

I was going to buy one but alas, the entire P1 production of 375 units was sold out by November 2013. Oh well, I'll stick with my old Ford pickup. :scowl:
  4. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

Awesome. 720 bhp twin turbo V8.

Pirelli tyres made in Carlisle.

Haha Clarkson is such a tool though. 'Frizzy haired sandal enthusiasts' indeed :)
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

In The Name Of The Unholy...that thing is downright BEASTLY!!!!

Peace,
    Greg
  7. BassyBill

Media:
    Yes, I saw it. Very interesting to compare the 4WD / 4 wheel steer, well equipped but much heavier Porsche against the raw brutality of the RWD, very light McLaren. At the moment I think I like the P1 better, but I'm looking forward to the track testing of the two head to head.

One of the reasons I enjoyed this video so much was the fact that I've been to Spa for an F1 GP and the track itself is stunningly beautiful. It's also amazingly steep in places - almost ridiculously so - and that never seems to come over on TV. This pic gives a better indication. Yes, I know it's shopped as the first bend after the start/finish line isn't this steep, but parts of the track are actually like this - steep enough to be a really tough walk.

[​IMG]

/slight derail
  8. carl h.

carl h.

Another F1 perspective you will seldom get:

My brother used to work for an engineering firm that was given the task of analyzing the top F1 car from whichever year it was - about 13 years ago if any of you care to look it up. We went in after hours to check it out on our own and the biggest shocker was that of the 3 of us, my brother my wife and myself, only my wife could fit into the cockpit. My brother is 5'11" 210, and I am 6'2" ~190. She is 5' even and 100 lbs. My legs couldn't even begin to fit in there, let alone my upper body. Those are SMALL cars, and I drive an MGB!!!
  9. BassyBill

Media:
    I did a corporate gig for McLaren a few years back and saw one of the cars up real close. It is surprising how tiny they are.

They are also almost impossible to drive for a normal person for another reason. They're so powerful that it takes incredible skill merely to keep them on the track pointing the right way. This is another vid well worth a look.

Oops, forgot link...

10. Unprofessional

Unprofessional Supporting Member

One of the very few shows that the wife and I can watch together is Top Gear so I've seen the McClaren episode already. She likes and appreciates the UK sense of humor.

If we hit the lottery, I'm buying myself a McClaren. That's the only way I'll ever get to drive one.
  11. BassyBill

Media:
    If I won £4-5m, I'd happily drop £1m on one of these and die happy.
  12. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Spa is one of the most beautiful racetracks in the world, I can only think of a couple that even come close. Whenever I get the chance to visit across the pond Spa is on my list of must see places.
  13. BassyBill

Media:
    It's starting to show its age a bit, unfortunately. The facilities for spectators could be described as basic or even pretty shabby. The track itself and the setting, though, are perfect.
  14. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I would like to watch Top Gear, unfortunately I have to balance my desire to watch it with an overwhelming urge to punch Clarkson very hard in his dobbin like chops every time he gets on the telly...my intense dislike of Clarkson usually wins.

I also used to be a real petrolhead but have really gone off cars in the last ten years or so, mostly because there are so few places you can really drive them like they're supposed to be driven, especially on a crowded island like ours. The mega-rich can buy cars like others of us can only dream about and also afford to buy track days.

Fortunately, us mere mortals can enjoy the same performance for much less money on a superbike and buy loads of track days with the change. I have a Ducati and have done many laps of Cadwell Park....I really don't feel the need for a McLaren.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IteniLcLImU
  15. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member