1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Tore it apart, rebuilt.... IT WORKS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by coyote1, Feb 10, 2013.

1. coyote1

coyote1

While I'm not the bassist in my band, the guy who does play it relies on me to get the effects in usable configuration. So far it's been OK, but I've been wanting to integrate all his effects for him.

I finally got it right. It was mostly about proper gain staging. Today I had the time to really muck around and nail the details.

The bass goes into a Hartke HA2000 amp. The effect send now goes into a dbx 160a compressor. That outputs into channel one of a Roland M120 line mixer. That is the dry signal. (sounds good both compressed and uncompressed.)

The left channel of the line mixer goes to a Lexicon MPX100 effect unit.
    That comes back into channel 10 of the mixer.

Effect send 1 goes to a Roland VF-1; that comes back into channel 11.
    Effect send 2 goes to a Boss SE-70; that comes back into channel 12.

The right channel of the mixer goes into a BBE 362 Maximizer, and its output goes to the effect return on the Hartke amp; that amp has two 4x10 cabs. Additionally, the mixer's right channel monitor out goes to a GK 800RB which feeds another 4x10. We could even send the left channel instead, which would make the effects channel a totally separate rig from the dry.

Any of the effect channels can operate alone, or chain into any other effect channel. The dry/Efx blend can be whatever we want. The noise, which is often prevalent in the Roland/Boss effect modules, has diminished dramatically. (It helps that I silenced most of the distortions, which are generally useless in those units.) And the proper gain staging also shows up in making the Maximizer a good gadget. Where it sounded pretty bad before, it now has an impact that is useful.

There is more work to do. Noise-gating the various effects chains in the SE-70 and VF-1 will quiet the rig even more, and then I'll re-integrate the FCB-1010 midi foot controller to control patch and program changes for the various songs. But we're finally at a place where it sounds really good in virtually every aspect.

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    What the h.........................??????

Whatever happened to just plugging in and playing??

3. coyote1

coyote1

Ummm... this is the EFFECTS forum.
    Whatever happened to knowing where you are? How does someone come into an EFFECTS forum and ask that question??

:spit:

:bag:

:D

EDIT: to answer your question, one song we play is Peg by Steely Dan. We are a trio, guitar bass & drums. To make the intro (which is later repeated) work, the guitarist lays out the chords... and the bassist plays the synth melody using a square wave in the SE-70. That is but one of many uses for those effects.

4. avvie

avvie

Hey! That's what my new band does too!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. coyote1

coyote1

Does what? A few different things have been mentioned

7. avvie

avvie

Oh...plays Peg as a trio and I play the fills under guitar chords.

8. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

wow! Talk about complicated... Not something I would bother with, but good luck with it. :)

9. coyote1

coyote1

The thing is that thinking it through at that level ultimately makes it simpler to use. You're not stuck with all the 'artifacts' that often result from chaining effects. Makes it so that, for a given musical segment, the bassist steps on one pedal and all things needed for that segment occur.

Besides, the gear is there! He got most of it for his Chapman Stick. Might as well put it to use, and have a bit of fun figuring it out along the way.

10. coyote1

coyote1

Ok, the FCB1010 has been properly integrated. Recalibrated its expression pedals, got it all set.... so one pedal selects patches on the SE-70, the VF-1, and the MPX-100. The expression pedals control the level of output of the VF-1 and SE-70 patches, though they could do other things if desired. Yeah it takes time and effort to configure, but once done it's awesome.

FCB patch 01 selects the guitar synth and a sub octave for Peg.
    Patch 02 selects a touch wah, a delay, and a flange for Higher Ground.
    Etc.