1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Torres fantastic bass amp

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by jj_bunk, Nov 12, 2012.

1. jj_bunk

jj_bunk

2. Roctal-Amps

Roctal-Amps

The limiting factor for the marshall is going to be the output transformer. The sunn model is equipped with an output transformer that would most likely span the home audio bandwidth of 20hz to 20khz. The Marshall output will most likely start roll off below 70hz and usually is designed with less headroom so that you get that signature crunch out of the amp. Weber Marshall kits allow you choose output transformer, high or low headroom. They also have the AB200 bass amp kit when parts are available.

3. jj_bunk

jj_bunk

Thanks roctal-amps. I have been looking for a while now and have only read so-so reviews on weber, that being said I like the look of the ab200 and the Orange. I was told if I get a weber to swap the tube sockets and jacks. Have you built any, and what was your experience with them? Did you swap out parts or are the in kit components fine?
    Thanks in advance for any input.

4. Roctal-Amps

Roctal-Amps

I don't have a great deal of experience with their kits, but I do buy parts from them frequently and have had no issues with their parts. How many watts do you need? What features do you need? One possibility is to look at a marshall 100w kit and replace the output transformer with something like one of the following for better low end frequency response than a standard marshall replacement.

hammond 1650t:

http://www.tubesandmore.com/products/P-T1650T

Edcor:

http://www.edcorusa.com/p/796/cxpp100-ms-2_2k

Also along with a better output transformer would be to address the tone stack / bypass caps / coupling caps so that it is better centered around bass frequencies.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    Been wantng a 200s for awhile now...this could be the way to go :)

7. jj_bunk

jj_bunk

I don't need a a lot of power this will be a studio amp. I was wondering about that for the Marshall. I have an Ampeg head that is pleanty loud for playing gigs. I just can't decide between the Marshall crunch or the fatness of Sunn. I'm leaning towards the Sunn and specifically the 200 from weber now.

8. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    The weber kit looks cool as heck.

I get my tube jones with an old Music Man RD100. In spite of the solid state pre, it can get nice and juicy. Loves a 2x15 cab...

9. bb5000

bb5000

Weber also have the 6S100, which is a Sunn 100S-inspired kit. I built mine from scratch using Dynaco MKIII transformers and choke from Triode Electronics, since those were the ones used in the original Sunn. It works fine for smaller gigs with an Ampeg SVT410HE.
    You could build that and change the tone stack to the one from 200S if you prefer that.

10. jj_bunk

jj_bunk

bb5000 did you upgrade any other parts? I was told to change the tube sockets and jacks, but I would love to not worry about that?

11. bb5000

bb5000

I didn't buy the kit, I just used the schematic and manufactured the chassis and headshell from scratch. I sourced some of the parts from Weber but also from Germany and China, most parts from Weber can also be found on eBay from Chinese suppliers (or equivalent parts). I had to modify the bias circuit for the
    Dynaco PT, but that info was found on the original Sunn schematic.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I worry about safety when I read posts about someone trying to build a tube amp. Even a kit will eventually require testing on an open live chassis. For someone who has never worked on tube electronics there is grave danger.