1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Total amp noob here with a few questions about heads and cabs.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by FBS1996, Jan 4, 2014.

1. FBS1996

FBS1996

Hey everyone :) I've got a lot of cash recently, so I thinking of doing a completely changing my set up. Got a new fender jazz on it's way and now I'm looking into amps. I've only used combo amps in the past, but now I'm thinking of upgrading to a head/cabinet combination

The head I have in mind is an Orange Bass Terror 500 (https://www.orangeamps.com/products/bass-guitar-amp-heads/terror-series/terror-bass-500/#tab-id-2). I've heard a couple of reviews on youtube and it sounds awesome from what I've found, and there's one selling in my local area for £330. The cab I'm looking at is an Ashdown MAG 410T Slim (http://ashdownmusic.com/products/1/Bass-Amplification/3/MAG/38/MAG-410T-SLIM/) as the matching orange cabs cost a fortune, plus I've had only good experiences with Ashdown so far

I was just wondering if this head will be compatible with this cabinet. I've heard a few little horror stories about people who have damaged their cabinets because they used a head that wasn't compatible. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

NOTE: I've also found that the bass terror head has a switch between 4 ohms and 8 ohms resistance, if that changes anything?

2. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

The cab is 8ohms and the head can switch from 4 to 8. So you are good to go. That is really the only thing you MUST concern yourself with when it comes to compatibility. Amps have minimum ohm ratings. You can't go below those ratings on the cab.

Now, there are dozens of factors that will determine whether or not they will sound great together. But "damage" should not be an issue unless you go nuts with volume.

3. FBS1996

FBS1996

Ah right, awesome :) so if they head has a minimum of 4 ohms, the cab must have a minimum of 4 ohms too? Or can the cab still be higher than 4 ohms?

4. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Cab be be equal to or higher than 4 ohms..... but not less.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fnordlyone

fnordlyone Supporting Member

Your one cab will be rated for ohms, actual not minimum (it will be either 8 or 4). If you add cabs then… see sticky… but one amp into two 8 ohm cab's = a 4 ohm load. You must have an amp head that goes to minimum 2 ohms to run two 4 ohm cabs that together equal 2 ohms.

fnord!

7. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

The 4/8 switch is an oddity for a solid state power amp. Simple rule is match the switch to the cab used. One or two 8ohm cabs, but only one 4ohm cab may be used.