Total newbie here

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Squawk, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Squawk

Squawk

So I am going to pickup my new bass tomorrow. Gibson SG Special. Had to order one because they did not have the finish I wanted.

Anyways, this is my second bass but te only one I've bought new. My first was a Samick Greg Bennett design DB5 FM.

I went with the short scale due to comfort.

So I'm looking to diversify the sounds I can get. I currently have a Fender Rumble 100 for practicing. I liked the sound I got from the Samick but my damn hands did not like the long scale neck. Walking scales that required my hands to do a step and a half were painful because of my short fingers.

Sorry for long story.

I'm interested in getting sounds like Jimi Hendrix/Band of Gypsys or Cream. I don't know what you classify it as but I think of it as dirty/muddy blues.

Anyways. Any suggestions on a pedal(s)? Not a Multi effect pedal.

Thanks and sorry. I'm new to the electric bass world. Acoustic guy for 10 years.

2. M0ses

M0ses

If you're looking for a pedal that gives you versatility in tone, this guy looks extremely interesting.

3. Squawk

Squawk

And this is what I mean by newb. I'm thinking effects and I guess what I want is different tones. Thanks Moses.

Learn something new everyday.

Is this going to give me more sounds than my amp. All I ever did was plug and play. To be honest I don't even know what my amp is capable of doing to change the sound/tone. I bought the Rumble 100 and the Samick from a friend for $300.

4. M0ses

M0ses

I'm afraid a thorough explanation of how equalization works is a larger topic than I feel like tackling at the moment. Google should turn up more info than you can process in one night, though.

Honestly though, if you're only going for the sound you described above, you already have a setup that should be able to provide that magnificently, though you might also appreciate a bit of overdrive. The EQ pedal would be most useful for changing basic tones on the fly.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Squawk

Squawk

Thanks again Moses. I'm gonna see if I can demo one tomorrow when I pick up my guitar. But I'll keep the Overdrive in mind. Coming from playing nothing but acoustic, all this electric stuff is blowing my mind. So much to learn and try.

7. HeavyRockBasser

HeavyRockBasser

I'm not an effects guy, so this is something you need to discuss with the effects gurus... the SG has a reputation for muddiness which I've heard can need some EQ to tame it. With the limited EQ of Fender amps, you might need to include an EQ pedal in what you end up with.

You're going to have a hard time coming close to Noel and Billy's sounds with a Gibson, I would think. Jack Bruce, no problem. I'd have probably gone with a Mustang, if I was going short scale. This would have got you a little closer, without all the tweaking.

Not knocking the SG, though. Love those. Its just a different animal, sound-wise.

Edit: Oops. The suggested pedal is an EQ. Duh! I didn't click on it the first time through, because I didn't think I'd know what I was looking at. Like I said... I'm not a pedal guy.

8. Squawk

Squawk

Thanks for the input. It's one of these situations where a guy walks in the room, can play a little bit but knows nothing about what he's doing.

I'm thinking the more I'm reading, EQ pedal looks like the way to go. The Audiosource looks intriguing. So does the MXR M-80.

9. M0ses

M0ses

The MXR you might like because it has the overdrive in addition to some EQ. However, the EQ isn't a whole lot more powerful than the one on your amp. So I'd personally look at a dedicated OD pedal (there are millions out there so you can be as picky as you like), and of course IMHO the Source Audio programmable pedal is pretty much impossible to beat for a pedal EQ at any price point.

10. M0ses

M0ses

I guess since you're a total newbie, I'll add the disclaimer: this is all of course my own personal opinion. The MXR is by no means a bad pedal, as far as I know, and I'm sure there are plenty of people who have it, like it, and get plenty of mileage out of it. Hopefully more people will chime in so you can get different viewpoints. I am known around my town for being a guy who likes to do things his own way, which often ends up being unusual. YMMV.