1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Touch sensitive overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sammywalk, Jan 23, 2013.

1. sammywalk

sammywalk

I've recently been on the search for a good touch sensitive overdrive (meaning I want it to be capable of overdriving only when I dig into the strings). I'm in the market for a new amp and would like to be able to take the modern solid state route without having to give up on the glorious natural overdrive that tube amps give out. However, I'm not particularly picky about having a tube sounding overdrive, just one that suites my other needs.

It seems there isn't a large market for these typed of overdrives. The closest I've found to what I'm looking for is the HBE Hematoma. My problem with it is that, from the sound clips I've heard, it has a really strong preset EQ that cuts highs and boosts mids. I'm looking for a pedal that simply overdrives my signal when I dig into the strings.

If anyone knows of a pedal that does this, or anything close to that, your suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Swift713

Swift713

I've got a BJFE Blueberry that's very touch sensitive. I keep the gain all the way down and it's almost clean with my Skyline bass when I play softly but breaks up very nicely when I dig in. It does roll off a fair bit of treble though. I'm getting an SFT any day now, which is supposed to be pretty touch sensitive. We'll see.

3. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

Dr. Scientist the Elements is awesome for touch sensitive overdrive and distortion.
    Iron Pig, B3K as well.
    I love all 3 of those.

4. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I own a Darkglass B3K and Swell B-Peg. They're both touch sensitive with the dirt..but color the the sound a lot. The Elements is colorless....that's the way to go for colorless touch sensitive OD.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. XXL

XXL Custom User Title Supporting Member

Just curious MSU, but what are the settings you use for colorless touch sensitive overdrive on the Elements?

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

The Elements is a monster if you are looking for something that just sits right above your amps natural overdrive I would look at something other than the Elements turning that pedal down is like trying to lock a lion in a closet. I like everyone's suggestion of the B3K and also the Baddy One Shoe Pedals Honeycomb Overdrive or the Tech 21 XXL Bass.

8. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    ....the....pedal....I mean, Ryan designed the pedal to be colorless. Here. You can't even tell where I engage the pedal the thing is so transparent.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    out of all of the overdrive/distortion pedals that I own (about 85 of them) my wampler paisley drive is probably the most touch sensitive. you can set it so that if you play softly, it won't distort at all, but it will when you dig in.

10. sammywalk

sammywalk

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

I would love to hear what you have to say about the SFT when you get it.

You have quite the collection of equipment! In you're review on your site of the paisley drive you say there is low end loss, how big of an issue would you say that is? I really dont want to lose the low end.

Any other suggestions though? considering you have experience with so many.

11. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    stock there isn't very much low end loss, but I modded mine so now there's absolutely none, and now I can use it for a completely transparent clean boost if I want to use it for that too.

12. Swift713

Swift713

I just got the SFT and spent 1/2 hour with it. I like it. It's not transparent but it doesn't have to color your tone too much. It's vey good at the subtle break up. It's pretty flexible but much more middle of the road than the Blueberry's dark heavy tone. I'd say its an excellent general use overdrive.

13. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    I have both the SFT and the blueberry and, IMO both of them are very good sounding overdrives, but I actually prefer the runoffgroove ginger over both of them, especially for more subtle (and less compressed) touch sensitive OD tones.

14. sammywalk

sammywalk

Your site says the plexi drive has a solid low end. Did you not suggest that because it colors the sound?

15. Dave Hill

Dave Hill Supporting Member

+1. Love mine. Can go from absolutely clean to od.
    Don't know if the MP version is the same. I hope so if mine craps out.

16. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Casting out the nines Supporting Member

The Mad Professor version is significantly different. Not a bad OD, but the BJFE version is on a different level.

17. sammywalk

sammywalk

It would be really awesome if you added a sound clip of the paisley. I have no clue what it sounds like on bass other than what you have told me.

18. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    okay. i'll make one and post it here.

19. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair

My go to pedal for touch sensitive light OD is the Dredge-Tone Angler. I love that thing. Doesn't color your tone either.
    The Hematoma sits right next to it, but that is NOT touch sensitive imo. It's pretty much gnarly no matter the setting... and I love it for that :)

20. ShowKing

ShowKing

VT bass? If I set the drive to around noon, it overdrives when I dig in.

21. johnk_10

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    here's a quick clip of my paisley drive. (pbass/SVT7pro/2x15cab, recorded with a zoom h4n). the very first part is bypassed, then with it engaged. I tried to show the touch sensitivity by playing it softly and then progressively harder.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014