1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Touring band and a job?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by basskidd, Dec 14, 2013.

1. basskidd

basskidd

Not really sure if this is the most effective place to post this but...

I was wondering if anyone out there who is in a touring band could recommend some lines of work to look into as far as part time jobs go that will allow me to take the necessary time off to hit the road? Or is that just a pipe dream? lol
    I've already looked into teaching, but can't afford to rent a studio and can't do it in my apartment because of noise problems so that isn't really going anywhere, and I can't find any music retail shops around that are hiring...
    Anyone have any ideas? I'm fresh out of college and don't really know where to start...

Thanks!

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

While I'm sure people here will have some great answers, do you have a careers advice centre or academic mentors from the college which you could ask too?

3. basskidd

basskidd

Yeah, they do. I tried before I graduated but they weren't much help...
    Guess it's worth another shot though? haha...

Edit: they were a huge help in terms of tips and pointers for getting my music career off the ground, but couldn't really give me much solid advice in terms of finding a job to keep myself afloat until that happens. And, as of right now, I'm in a touring band that, while it pays, isn't enough to keep myself afloat.

4. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Isn't that part of the great touring band dilemma? Making enough money.

Think not only about things which can be lax on the time, but can also be lax on the location. What about virtual tutoring/videos? Though I doubt there would be much money in that.

You could always be a tutor that works "on site", cart your gear to someone's house to do the teaching?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

Temping would be one thing. Freelance writing. Waiting tables.

Another way to tackle it would be to ask if there are jobs you could do that you could "telecommute" for while on tour. I hear a lot about how grueling touring is, so maybe the schedule wouldn't allow it (haven't had the experience myself), but seems like if your work would allow you to log in for a few hours from a hotel room, that might be a way to do it in this day adn age.

7. bkbirge

bkbirge

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Food service. Construction. Odd jobs of the labor variety. You want something you can drop without burning bridges and come back to a week, a month, or a year later and pick right back up.

8. kenneffdupriest

kenneffdupriest

I wud say join your local stage hand union. thats what I did as soon as I was old enough. You can work when you like, meet others in the field that cud help out down the road and learn different skills that are a by-product of what you wanna do eventually. not to mention if/when you move up and away from just moving heavy cases and are educated in the fine art of rigging, lights, sound, pyro... you can get a job just about anywhere. also shows are free, they feed you well, you get a cool tshirt to show you were actually there and its a lot of fun. just don't look Britney in the eyes and if you ever meet Barry Manilow tell him Kenny says Hi. He'll remember

9. bassrush67

bassrush67

I don't tour all over but have for the past 7 years left out on a Wednesday or Thursday and cover from Alabama to New Mexico and states to the north. I have an outside sales job for my dayjob. My bosses have been cool because I have brought them in plenty of business. Always answer your phone and do everything possible to take care of the customer. Look for an outside sales position in a field that you are familiar with.
    Good luck