Traben Basses

Discussion in 'The Perfect Bass' started by rjazzbass1, Jan 18, 2013.

1. rjazzbass1

rjazzbass1

Anyone out there use Traben Basses? If so, any thoughts? I am currently looking at a Traben Neo 5 string
  2. nogoodwithnames

nogoodwithnames Supporting Member

I have owned three traben basses. An array premium, a chaos 5, and a phoenix. They don't get a lot of love around here, and most people think the bridges are too gaudy.
    I however think they're great. The necks on all mine are thin and fast playing.

Build quality is top notch for the ones with a serial number that starts with a T. They've moved production to China and unfortunately build quality has suffered.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but that's just my opinion.
  3. BassManJones83

BassManJones83

I also play a Traben. I play the Array NT 5 string. I have no complaints. For a mid end bass @ $600+ it's grate.
  4. basskidd

basskidd

I started out on a 4 string Traben Element, but don't play it much anymore since I graduated up to a 6 string... I'm planning on de-fretting it in the next week to reinvigorate my interest, because (sentimental value aside) it's really a helluva bass. Light, well built, and a workhorse. Not to mention, in the 6 or 7 ish years I've had her, I have NEVER had her set up (just adjusted the action a little bit over the years to indulge my own curiosity); the truss rod hasn't budged. At all. Really can't recommend them enough haha
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

My back up is an Array LTD. Nothing but love for it.
  7. BassManJones83

BassManJones83

I wanna put higher end pickups on my Array NT is that at all possible?
  8. ThePerfectBass

ThePerfectBass Supporting Member

Indeed it is possible... You would just need to mach up the pickup slot size with the appropriate new pickups.

Peace!
  9. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

I'm not sure why you'd want to though. The stock pickups in my Array LTD are very nice indeed.
  10. alexlocurto

alexlocurto

I had a Traben that was pretty good. Looked kinda ugly, played well, sounded great at first! Unfortunately, I had to sell it due to electronics issues that came up after a while, and incompetent local repairmen. Fortunately, I used the money to buy an MTD Kingston Heir 5. :D
  11. dagovna659

dagovna659

I own a Traben Chaos 5-string and love it,tone for years. bought it in 2005 and was still using my stingray5 but lately it has become my go-to bass as it is light as a feather with a
    numerous amount of tone settings. Funny thing is my guitar player prefers the tone of my Traben
  12. M Sharp

M Sharp

On the chaos core 5, how think is the neck and how easy is it to reach the 24th fret? Thx.
  13. M Sharp

M Sharp

14. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom Supporting Member

I own and love a Traben Phoenix 4-string. It feels great, looks great and plays great.

The only thing I don't like about it is that I have yet to be able to dial in the tone to a place that I like it. That's relative though.
  15. nirvana1410

nirvana1410

I had an Array 5 and really didn't care for it, but to my understanding, the older ones made in the US are the ones to have and mine was Korean crap. I played on a Neo 4 that was pretty smooth. I liked it much better.
  16. Gabriel51

Gabriel51

I have a Chaos Core and can't say enough good thins about it.
    electronics are all agie, Grover tuners 8.8 lbs.
    The preamp is a little dark but nothing to complain about.

[​IMG]
  17. moosebreath

moosebreath

I cant find a serial number on my array so no idea how old it is. I've had it about 5 months. It played good, felt good. I just had it set up and it plays like butter. 100% improvement. I do love it and get wow's all the time for the looks. Its a natural wood, neck thru, 4 string. Excellent bass all around. My LTD thinks I hate it. (I do lol) BTW If anyone knows where I can locate the same bass in a 5 string, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let me know. Post and I'll get it. Thanks
  18. DannyBob

DannyBob

They look decent, but not that bridge...:rollno:
  19. moosebreath

moosebreath

Well I like the bridge. It, and the shape of the bass and the wood grain caught my eye. Hit my sweet spot. The action is super and it sounds great. Took about 3 months and I tracked it down. The one I'm trying to find now is the 5 string version. Missed one on e bay for being to damn slow. It went for $330.00. Ever seen a grown man cry? If anyone runs onto one and it aint an arm and a leg, please post it. Also if sombody always wanted a brand new ESP 8 string octave bass, I can hook ya up. Now, my 4 string Traben seems to be just a wee bit neck heavy which makes me think the 5 string would be more so. I dont want to hang a brick off the end of the body to ballance it. Is this something Trabens are known for?
  20. chebaby77

chebaby77 Texas Blue Dirt Supporting Member

Started out on a Chaos Core 4 - Loved it!
    Still use it for when I roll out the Neo-Medievel & Celtic Basslines.
  21. moosebreath

moosebreath

Well I finally found a Traben array obsession natural wood in Virginia but I live in Florida. Craigs list. In mint condition and he wants $500.00. Dont know what year it is or when they quit making the neck thru natural wood basses or if it matters. Does anyone know if that's a decent price. I paid $300 for my Traben 4 string, just like it only has four string. Seems like a decent price. Not a steal, which is what we all look for. I'll probably end up with it so why do I even ask. So I can feel good or bad reading posts after I buy it.