Trace Cab takes serious punishment

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by IPYF, Nov 18, 2012.

1. IPYF

IPYF

I've got a curious query.

I used to run a GK1001rbii into 2 cabs, a older Trace 1048H rated at 300w RMS and a Behringer 1x15 which was rated at a supposed 500w.

I ran this rig nicely for about 2 years until the Behringer cab popped. At this point it was 6 years old so I figured that was a rather good run for a cheap Bogginger. Up to this point I was obviously getting 4ohm out of my head which was affording me the full 700w of GK grunt. Due to this I never turned either of my gain or my master past 9 oclock.

Due to the fact I'm poor I couldn't afford to get a new cab to replace the Behringer so I decided to carry on with the Trace on its own. I was of course aware that the Trace wasn't designed to cop the force of the GK head, even if it was only getting like 350w of the GK's total load. I was totally expecting to run the cab into the ground before too long.

A year later and it's still going strong. Last Friday I had a show in a long boomy room that required me to actually dime my GK for the first time. I pushed it super hard and hammered in with a down tuned bass, at the amp's maximum master at 8ohm. Awesome response from the cab ensued.

I know this might seem like a clandestine advertisement for Trace Elliot, or a bit of a brag, but I legitimately just want to know the reason why this low rated cabinet seems to be able to survive being flogged mercilessly week after week. I've heard that a good rule of thumb is that you should have 2x the wattage rating of Cab vs the wattage of your head to be able to call yourself semi-safe. But 350 into 300 doesn't seem to pose a problem.

Does anyone know why I'm getting away with this?
  2. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

First the 1001RB II is 460 watts into 8 ohms!
    The answer is most likely a combo of a well rated cab, good technique and some degree of luck.
    Cab input power ratings are not standardized or reliable and actual real world handling can not be found in most cases.
  3. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Unfortunately this is what happens fairly often when you pair a 1x15 with a 4x10.
  4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Perhaps those 2 cabs weren't complimenting each other all that well. Now that you're running a set of matched, and likely higher quality speakers, things are becoming clearer. The Trace may also have been rated more along the lines of what it can actually do instead of whatever puts the biggest numbers in the advertisements.

Add to that, that our playing isn't a constant power signal. Even with the amp cranked, all that power isn't being used all the time, just to cover peaks when you attack your notes with less power being used as the notes ring out. Also depending on your bass and gain settings it still may not have been driven to full power.

Anyway, what do we have here? Good tone, good projection, one less box to carry and you don't have to spend any money. No real downside that I can see.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dean N

Dean N

They're definitely not lightweight. A lot of people don't think they're all that pretty. The used ones always seem to look like hell. And the company had a bit of a rough patch.

But almost anyone who's gigged or toured with (the good, pre-Gibson) TE stuff will tell you they're very conservatively rated, built like tanks, almost shockingly loud, sound great, and are nearly indestructible. A TE 4x10 will take 350w (or 460!) all day long, I'd think. Maybe not.

For the quality of the product, I still wonder why they've never been all the rage. Especially with guys like JPJ, Geddy, and Tony Levin playing through TE at one point or another.
  7. Schlyder

Schlyder

Trace Elliot.....always blowing someone's mind-hole. :D
  8. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

I love my TE stack (AH500X, 1048 4x10 and 1528 2x15). It is absolutely thunderous and easily levels buildings if pushed hard. The first time I used it our neighbor in the next practice room came over and said I'd cleared the shelves in his practice space. I can't speak to the newer stuff, but pre-Gibson TE gear is military grade. Whoa. :D