Trace Elliot AH1200 & Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HubbardsFate, Mar 2, 2014.

1. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Hey Guys,

A local shop is trying to get rid of some new Trace Elliots that they have had in stock for awhile. I don't particularly need a new amp at the moment, especially anything super high-powered. But I am hoping to be involved in a band again at some point...

I could put together a stack out of what they are selling, I'd appreciate some thoughts on the following setup: An AH1200 head combined with a 2 x 10 and 1 x 15 cabinets. I'd rather be looking at 4 x 10 and 1 x 18 cabs, but the 2 x 10 and 1 x 15 is what they have in stock. They are asking $999.95 for the head and $399.95 each for the cabs (prices in Canadian dollars.)

Thoughts? :D
  2. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables, Dirtbag Clothing
    Honestly, I would pass. Nothing wrong with Trace gear but a 2X10/115 set up probably isnt the best and its not what you really want anyway so its a waste of money.
  4. Fred312b

Fred312b

Those aren't bad prices, but the head weighs 62 lbs (iin American pounds :smug: ). is the 15" cab the 1518c (the "compact" version)?

Personally, I think a 2x10 and a 1x15 is a fine set-up, but that amp will be overkill with those cabs (although you can always add extra cabs and make a monster rig0.

Ed Friedland did a Bass Whisperer review on You Tube of the amp here and Tom Bowlus reviewed the Trace 1028 cab for Bass Gear magazine here to give you some more info on them.

Hope this helps... :bassist:
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I know that head is pretty monstrous for that cab setup...they also have the AH600 head in stock (at $699.99.) I'm not sure if that 15 is the compact one or not...

I did see Ed Friedland's review of the AH1200 with the 4 x 10 / 1 x 18 cab setup, and he seemed to think quite highly of the gear. Bass Player magazine also reviewed the rig and spoke highly of it.

I think what I'm going to do is approach the store and say "You know what, I don't really NEED a new amp, especially anything this powerful, right now. But you know how it is: sometimes what a guy WANTS trumps what he NEEDS. I'm not taking anything off your hands today, but here's my number. If you haven't moved these down the road, give me a ring, perhaps we can work something out..." :D
  7. leftyjay

leftyjay

Trace stuff is awesome - the new gear is the best they've made for a long time, possibly since the original UK-owned days.

I don't know what sort of price that works out at in English money, but I can't imagine you would go wrong with that setup. 2x10 and 1x15 would give you a nice full range, and I think the AH600 is a stereo 300W per side arrangement, so you could get some bi-amping going on.

True the AH1200 would be overkill, but those Trace cabs handle an awful lot of power. Well, the old ones definitely do.

And they're GREEN!

Nuff said :)
  8. tabooze24

tabooze24

The AH600 is not stereo nor bi-ampable. Its 600 watts RMS in 4 ohms. It can have a 12 band eq or a 7 band eq.

The AH1200 has two 600 watt power modules than cannot be bridged. It has the 12 band eq.

All three of the amps use the same power sections. However, the AH600 can have either the 12 band eq or the 7 band eq. I personally like the 12 band eq more because it has more adjustability, a nicer compressor, and a tube in the output path (running at 250v). The AH600-12 only weighs about 37 lbs, but the AH1200-12 weighs 48 lbs (these are from the manual, the website has it wrong in regards to the AH1200-12).

Personally, I use the AH600-12 because I only use one 4 ohm speaker enclosure. But if your getting into multi-cabs, AH1200-12 might be the best option.

Those are killer prices!

9. leftyjay

leftyjay