1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Trace Elliot AH350X

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by RobinG, Nov 19, 2008.

1. RobinG

RobinG

I just recently picked one up, but am having a hard time finding any info on it.

It has the GP11 preamp, with toggle switches. All info I've found on the AH350 has had the front panel with rocker switches.

I LOVE the amp, and am trying to find out anything I can about it.

Robin
  2. quickervicar

quickervicar

3. RobinG

RobinG

I can't open that page for some reason.. I have found another amp with the same layout as mine:

View attachment 109518

Robin
  4. Mutato

Mutato

I also have a AH350X. Bought it new in '88. Served me well throughout the years. The page from British Audio is actually the next year model, coming from '89. I think the '89 models were actually AH300X. I believe I still have my manual from '88. I'll have to look. I might even have the one from '89 because I got my second cabinet in '89.
  5. Mutato

Mutato

I do have both manuals and catalogues from '88 and '89. If yours looks like that picture posted I think it's an earlier model. There's a picture of Mark Porcaro with that exact same head in the '88 manual so it probably is a year or 2 earlier. I wish I could help more. I could scan any of the pages from the manuals if you want.
  6. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Here is the manual for that head: MkV - GP11

If you cannot open it then you need Adobe reader which you can download for free from Adobe.
  7. Mutato

Mutato

Unless they used that same manual for multiple years, that manual is from the '89 product line.
  8. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Hmm, I didn't think the MkV preamps/amps were still being made in '89. Anyways, that manual does cover the amp he has posted a pick of.
  9. Mutato

Mutato

Typo, my bad. The manual you posted came with the '88 models. His amp is older than '88. You'll notice his amp does not have the "Balance" slider on the front like they talk of in the manual. The '88 models had the balance slider right up front next to the EQ.

The Series 6 came out in '89.
  10. Krügmeister

Krügmeister

I have an AH350X that I got new in 86 and I use it still.
    the X means that it has a crossover a high out and low out.. I think the 1810 was cabinet that came with them.
    it is a VERY powerful head and it totally sounds great.. congrats on getting a great amp.
  11. murphy

murphy

2 poweramps isn't it?
    200 watts lows
    150 watts highs

I'll try and find my 1984 or 5 catalogue
  12. Mutato

Mutato

Could you post some pics? I'd love to see it!

Here's the front panel from the '88.

[​IMG]
  13. RobinG

RobinG

Thanks everyone!

The more I play this Amp, the more I like it! Such clarity.. I've been playing a Mesa BB750 for years (I bought the first one that came to OlyWa), and the TE leaves it in the DUST :D

Robin
  14. murphy

murphy

sorry for the delay...had trouble finding the catalogue.
    I got this in Feb 1985

AH350X
    designed to match with 1818X cabinet
    Twin channel fan cooled unit
    Channel A delivers 150watts into 8 ohms and is high pass, above 250HZ only
    Channel B delivers 250 watts into 4 ohms full range.
    Seperate level controls are not fitted
    We recommend you use this unit with one or two 1818X enclosures
    Use cannel B with a full range cabinet by itself for smaller gigs.

1818X
    One 18inch speaker
    One ten inch high pass.
    Seperate inputs for the high pass ten and the 18 inch speaker
    350watts. 8 ohm impedence
    44kg

That's all I got from that year. I bought the AH250 that year after seeing the band King play live.
  15. RobinG

RobinG

Thanks Murphy. Now I have to find an 1818X cab ;) I guessed it was a mid to early 80's unit.

The TE does sounds GREAT through my 4X10 Mesa, and the super cheezy home made 1X15 cab in my practice space.

Robin
  16. murphy

murphy

yeah, I would stick with the cabs you have.
    Probably sound alot better than a big old 18.
  17. bigcam

bigcam

Just found your post. I also have a AH350X GP11 with the TE 115 cab. The TE 410 cab just didn't work out for me and another bassist liked it better than I did. So sometimes I use my old Ernie Ball 212 separately or combined with the 15 depending on the room. Awesome sound and power. Play 5 string and it handles the low B well as doesn't take away anything from the 7th position G.
  18. RobinG

RobinG

I still think the GP11 series TE amps in any combo are the best Bass Amps ever made!

Robin
  19. RobinG

RobinG

I also have an AH250, GP11 that has been my bigger gig amp with the 1815 cab. for years. I have an SMX 1X15 combo as well, but I'll take the AH250 to any gig I can.

I've been play an old 4001 through it, and I jump when I play a larger room and can play with that setup.

Robin