Trace Elliot cab inquiry

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by HemiBob, Mar 13, 2014.

1. HemiBob

HemiBob

Hi Guys !,

I presently have a Bag End 2x10 (4 ohms) and a Trace Elliot 1518t (8 ohms, 1x15 with tuning ports, tolex, no red strip). I am considering changing cabs, i have 2 options available to me right now. Either:

1- Trade both Cabs to get a Trace Elliot 4x10 , vented, no tweeter.

2- Trade the Bag End to get a second 1x15, a 1518

I have played 4x10 s in the past but never did i play with a 2x15. There is ample infos on the 1048 but i can't seem to find much comments on the 1518....

Does anyone have any experience using a 2 ( 1x 15 ) Trace set-up with similar cabs ?

Thanks for any input !

2. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Option 2 for me

3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Same for me. I have the same tolex ported 1518. Two of them would be very nice. Dispersion isn't great but better than 4x10.

I have used mine with a few different cabs over the years, but never a matching 1518. They are rather rare here. I see a hand truck in your future.

4. HemiBob

HemiBob

You mention dispersion being better with the 2 single 15's instead of the 4x10", I would have thought the other way around

I know that 2x15's , such as the Mesa Boogie Diesel are praised, so is the Peaveys. Could I expect something similar ? Even if we are talking about different speakers...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Side by side on the floor they are worse than a 4x10 for same reason. Stacked vertically they have barely passable dispersion, and better than any 4x10.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    On the flip side of that, I often use two 115's and I'm perfectly happy with the dispersion of the highs. Yes, it's less than smaller speakers in a vertical array, but I don't care because the sound is totally there.

8. HemiBob

HemiBob

When you guys refer to dispersion, is it strictly in regards of the highs ? Sorry for the question, I just feel over my head in this technical stuff...

So if I understand correctly, running them in a stack, which was my intention, I should be ok and better off than with the 1048 cab ?

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yep. Sometimes the very upper mids too, but mostly highs. It's called "beaming," where the longer in the horizontal plane the speaker(s) is (are), the more the highs will be forced toward the center of the cab. So a 15" will beam more than a single 10", and two 10"s side by side will beam more than a 15". It's a major reason why tweeters are small.

Me, I couldn't care less about beaming. I'm not big on ear piercing highs, so my 810's and 115/215 rigs sound awesome whether they beam or not. But my twin 210 vertical stack does have noticeably better dispersion, no question about it.

10. High Camp

High Camp

I play a Trace Elliot 4 x 10 combo in our rehearsalroom (is that a word?) and I own (almost 20 years now) a Trace Elliot combo with a 15 inch driver, which I doubled on occasion with another 15 inch cabinet.
    My experience is they both sound HUGE, volumewise, deep and direct.
    So, either option (two 115 cabs ported or one 410 cab ported) will work perfectly.
    If you like the Trace Elliot sound, you'll be smiling both ways. IMHO.
    And they will go a long way too.
    I don't know too much about specs, I do know one bassist favors one way and another bassplayer favors something else, so, if you can, check it out live.

11. HemiBob

HemiBob

Thanks to all for all that info and input, pretty much confirms my decision. Looks like a 2 (1x15) stack it will be !

Thanks again

12. HemiBob

HemiBob

Since both of the 1518 are tweeter-less, are there any frequencies I can boost to compensate in some way ?

13. rtav

rtav Millionaire Stuntman, Half-Jackalope Supporting Member

Hey

I have a Trace 1048 and a 1528 (2x15), neither with tweeter, but I don't miss the tweeter at all and I doubt you'll miss it either.

Here's how my Trace AH500X EQ is set (no pre-shaping); tone on bass is 7 oclock for bass, 7 for mid, 8 for treble:

[​IMG]

14. High Camp

High Camp

What kind of head (amp) do you have?
    If your missing the ultra highs, boost the ultra highs via Treble or EQ.
    Do you play fingerstyle or slap 'n' pop or something else?
    The setting by RTAV is IMHO best for fingerstyle (the curve with the slight nudge around 200 Hz and 300 Hz)

15. HemiBob

HemiBob

I have a Series 6 gp12 ah200 head. I'm mostly a pick player. Both basses have humbuckers, one active the other passive.

16. High Camp

High Camp

I would suggest for a basic starterpoint:
    30 HZ at minus 6 db; 40 Hz at 0 db; 60 Hz at 3 db; 100 Hz at 6 db; 180 Hz at 3 db;
    340 Hz at 0 db; 640 Hz at 6 db; 1.3 KHz between 6 and 3 db; 2.6 KHz at 3 db; 5 KHz at 0 db; 10 KHz at minus 3 db; 15 KHz at minus 6 db.
    Then start playing and adjust to taste.
    If that doesn't work, then start by setting the EQ flat and work from there.
    Hope this helps a bit.

17. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

1518 doesn't hit its straps until past 60hz. You're wasting power if you aren't cutting 40hz. My 30hz slider lives on the bottom.