Trace Elliot GP7 ? any good?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tony h, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Tony h

Tony h

Hi
    I'm thinking about getting some Trace gear, how are the GP 7 amp's, what's the average price for good used one
    Thanks
  2. The Penguin

The Penguin duplicate account violation

They're nice, under rated power wise, over built, overweight and under priced. Clean and loud, not what I'd consider warm though. Which one you looking at?
  3. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

I absolutely loved my GP7! Trace Elliot was/is my favorite tone I've ever had. Think Tony Levin, Pino Palladino, Entwistle, Wimbish, etc...amazing tone! I had the GP7 preamp rated at 280watts rms at 8ohms. It made my Trace 2x10 and 1x15 spank! Their power rating (british watts) is very underrated and sounded more like 500watts to me. I used it night in and night out...on the road in its own Trace rack for years and only had to replace the internal fan once. Everything else was perfect and it took great abuse from the road. I'd buy the GP7 again because of the reliability and tone if I had spare money. It was clean and focused...but had some depth to it. I used it for rock/funk and jazz. Amazing amps...buy pre-gibson though!
  4. stingray56funk

Oh price...you can buy a good 350 GP7 head for around $300-$350 plus shipping. I would never pay more than 350 for one just because I've seen so many deals on these heads for under $350. You won't be sorry!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. grayhawk1853

grayhawk1853

+1
  7. Tony h

Tony h

Thanks fellas

the one I might pick up is Trace Elliot GP7SM 250, how's the EQ?
    would this be cool to use with a trace 4 x 10 cab ?
  8. Tony h

Tony h

thanks for that
  9. stingray56funk

Oh yeah!!! the GP7 250 with the Trace 4x10 rated at 300 watts would be tight and deep. I always loved Trace 4x10 (and other cabs for that matter...I still have a 1x15 that is a tank) because of their build quality and reliability. The celestion 10" speakers record really well, they are balanced, and last forever. The cabinet is made of MDF so it is heavey and won't vibrate or break easily. Great cabinet to go with a great head! Get ready for the weight though...those Trace 4x10's can be heavy!
  10. Tony h

Tony h

Thanks man, yeah could be a lot of weight to it, Ive always a Trace rig , so it might be time.
  11. Fender32

Fender32

What sort of volume level are you looking for, Tony?

Rehearsal room, church, coffee house, small clubs, stadiums (;) )?

These little 150w GP7's are loud enough for the first three catagories and are very cheap (150-200 Euros over here).

Very flexible EQ and quite portable too. The sound is somewhat on the clean, hi-fi side (IMHO), which is why I "retired" mine in favour of a Markbass head.

Great amp for the money though!

[​IMG]
  12. Tony h

Tony h

Thanks, something for a small rehearsal space would be good. Ive got a eden nemesis 210 combo now, I really like it, but ive always fancied a Trace set up. Have you played on the nemesis ? can you compare them

Cheers
  13. Tony h

Tony h

how does $400 sound for a AH 350, is that a bit high ? it looks like it's really good cond.

thanks
  14. stingray56funk

$400 is a little high for a GP7 preamp. If it were the GP12 then I would say go for it. There is a 350 GP7 on bassgear.com for $300 plus shipping. Check it out...from a nice guy named Jim who has pics ready and is great to work with.
  15. The Penguin

Hey neighbor (I'm on the other side of the 880) I had an AH250 with the GP11 and have an Eden 400. I've played the Nemesis 210 combo and found it very similar to my Eden 400 into an Eden D210T, warm, smooth, meaty. My Trace on the other hand was more hi-fi and clean, I much preferred the Eden.

A big drawback for me on the Trace was there was no simple EQ, so if I wanted to add a bit more bass I had to move a bunch of sliders, it's a great EQ but not for me.

I'm not sure what AH350 you're looking at but it's likely an AH350X which means it is bi-ampable and has a crossover. Is it a mk4, mk5, series6?

$400 may be a bit over market price but if that amp speaks to you I'd go for it. They're known for being bulletproof and that blacklight is cool :)
  16. Tony h

Tony h

Hi
    cool, I'm over in Oakland. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated. I'll find out what series it is. I really like my nemesis combo, it is really warm sounding. Have you tried the Trace 300 valve amp? I can get one of them for $400,
    Cheers
    Tony
  17. The Penguin

Trace 300 valve amp? I'm not even sure what that one is, but I don't know Trace very well after Series 6. PM Kelly Lee and get him in this thread. He's a Trace nut.

If you like the warmth of the Eden you may not like the clean sound of the Trace.
  18. Rick_no7

Rick_no7

Probably a V-type 300.

All tube Pre-amp(no sliders) and the body looks like a tube amp? Its solidstate power on those if that is what it is.

I've thought about getting one, and this board goes nuts over them, but I have to have a complex EQ section... just in case.
  19. Tony h

Tony h

thanks man, that's the one, look kinda funky, brand new for $450, sounds good though?
  20. Tony h

Tony h

Thanks, yeah I'm going to check it this week to see how it sounds,
    let you know
    cheers
    Tony