Trace elliot hexa power amp light is burning

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by aqstyp85, Jan 7, 2013.

1. aqstyp85

aqstyp85

Hi folks!
    I`m just a newby in this forum - let me say hello to everybody- and I`ll start with one question: On my search for a TE V8 I stumbled over a hexa valve to take him home (I recently own 8 TE amps/combos). First thing I realized that the amp was periodly changing between loud and quiet and in opposite to the quatra I own too, the power amp light was burning after switching the standby switch to power on. After retubing and installing a new (more quiet ) fan the amp sounds as it should : very, very loud, clear and warm :) but the power amp light still burns! Now I`m wondering what is right : The power amp light is on when everything is ok-or the power amp light is on if there are any issues?
    I would be happy for any hints!
    Sorry for my bad english but I haven`t spoke it for a long time.
    Regards michael
  2. Cutty

Cutty

Get in touch with Trace in the UK,they will help you i'm sure.
  3. aqstyp85

aqstyp85

No, they dont :-(
    no reply, no schematics, I`m afraid they don`t want to handle that old stuff especially because the power amp light isn`t mentioned at the owners manual.
    Regards michael
  4. MAMMOTHvolume

MAMMOTHvolume

one of the indicator bulbs is burning? That means either your mains voltage is to high or your heater voltage is to high or both
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. aqstyp85

aqstyp85

What do you mean with indicator bulbs?
    I meant the red lamp shown in the picture below (the one signed power amp)
    controls.PNG
    regards michael
  7. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Just so you know, the power amp and preamp lights are mislabeled on the Hexa Valve. I used to have one and they made a mistake when they had the front panel screen printed and labeled the preamp light, power amp and vise versa.

At least that's how it was on my amp. I thought it was pretty funny myself. They only made a very limited amount of Hexa Valves and it was right before the company was sold and the amp discontinued.

Hope this helps,

Michael
  8. JFOC

JFOC

9. aqstyp85

aqstyp85

@the other Michael:
    did both lamps burn when your amp was in running order or did only one (preamp or power amp)?
    At mine (I took the picture posted of a thread in this forum)the lamps are mounted correctly, the leads from power amp bulb go to the power amp section and the leads from the pre amp bulb go to the preamp board !
    thanx Michael
  10. phishaholik

phishaholik Supporting Member

Yes, both lights would be on when the amp was running. When I would put the amp on standby, the power amp light would go off and the preamp light would stay on. It should have been the other way around.

I also had a Twin Valve at the same time to compare mine to. The colours of the lights were reversed comparing the Twin Valve and the Hexa Valve. In my Hexa, it was obvious that the lights were reversed. I guess it was probably more likely that they wired it wrong, instead of having the front panel printed wrong. Maybe yours is different.

There aren't any schematics available for the Hexa, at least not that I or anyone else I spoke to could find. These amps weren't fully sorted out when they put them on the market. I remember that a Talkbass member that worked for the US distributor for Trace back then posted that they received 40 Hexa Valves in the US and only half of them worked, so there are less than 20 in the country.

Michael
  11. aqstyp85

aqstyp85