Trace Elliot or Markbass amp head and cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Mcbassist789, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Mcbassist789

Mcbassist789

I've been looking around and playing some amp heads and cabs in my local shops and can't decide between TraceElliot or MarkBass. I don't have much experience with either of these companies products so I'm seeking your knowledge and experience. I'm looking for a 100-300 watt rig.
  2. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

If you like both, the low weight and smaller size of the MarkBass amps may at least make it easier to sell "down the road".
    I personally like both brands' amps but not their cabs very much. I have an LMII that I am very happy with. That (500W) would be my lowest power option. No point in less power, IMHO.
  3. Mcbassist789

Mcbassist789

What cabs would go best with a MarkBass head?
  4. dls119

dls119

I really really really like my Little Mark 250 head. I wasn't expecting to like it as much as I do, actually.

Right now I'm using it with a simple Yamaha BT210 with satisfying results. Many people also like Markbass cabs, however I can't get past the asthetics (read as gaudy yellow speakers).
  5. swamp_bass

swamp_bass I love it when a groove comes together Supporting Member

Hah, you're hitting some of my favorites. Markbass amps are a solid choice. You can pick up the discontinued LMII for about $350 or so, or if you need variable line out control, pitch in some more geenbacks for the LMIII.

I went with the II, and it powers my Hartke Hydrive 410 to very loud, crisp levels with a very forward tone. There's just enough tone control that I can contour it to suit different music and locations.

I found a killer deal on a used Hartke cab, but based on my preferences I would have gone for either Markbass, Hartke or Trace Elliot cabinets and been happy.
  6. BackonBass13

BackonBass13 Supporting Member

I've had my LMIII and 104HR Markbass gear for about 4 months now and I like them. Unfortunately, GC did not have many in stock choices, so I could not try the new GK head I had been researching. Overall happy with MB. Very clean and transparent sounding. I sound llike whatever bass I'm playing. The filters are actually useful depending on your material and taste.