1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Trade a 2011 Precision American Deluxe for a 2012 PDN Stingray 4H???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 07Stingray, Dec 18, 2013.

1. 07Stingray

07Stingray

I'm having a bit of a dilema...I used to have a 2007 Stingray 4H (alder with maple neck, 3 EQ), which I loved to play, but was never keen on the tone in all situations...it was a bit bright sometimes...I play in a classic rock band, with a broad selection of tunes.

So I sold it and got a used 2011 American Precision Deluxe (active/passive, wine red over rosewood), which I like, however I don't like the feel as much as the 'Ray.

So, I have an opportunity to trade the Precision Deluxe for a 2012 Honeyburst PDN Stingray 4H 3EQ (mint). I'm a little torn...I really like the Deluxe, but I kinda miss my Stingray sometimes, and I can't afford both.

Will the mahogany body of the PDN tame the tone of the Stingray a bit? I find the deluxe a little too controlled sometimes, so I'm thinking that the mahogany body combined with the pao ferro fingerboard might warm up the 'Ray a bit, while still letting me take advantage of the Stingray growl when I want too. No to mention, the PDN looks like a work of art.

As well, is it an even trade?

Sorry for the diatribe, but any insight would be appreciated.

Forgot to say that my rig is a GK 800RB with a Hartke 4200 Pro and 210 extension.

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

If it was me I'd do it in a heartbeat. Fender actives never impressed me.
    The Ray with a mahogany body will have a natural added push in the low-mids. You can always install halfrounds or flats since (lets be honest) classic rock doesnt need sizzly bright bass.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    Stingrays with mahogany are amazing IME.

I owned 2 2006 30th Anniversaries and they were by far the best Stingrays I have owned (I have had a dozen or more). Really nice warm tone. Still a Stingray, but as Casa mentioned, some added low mids.

I also don't like active Fender Precisions.

If it was me, I would do the trade for sure.

4. Musicman20

Musicman20

Brilliant trade...do it!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 07Stingray

07Stingray

Wow - thanks for the feedback...sounds like I'll be back in the Stingray club.

I might be able to do the trade today...I'll let you know how it goes!