trade my ebmm stingray 5h for a G&L assat ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Justice4trance, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

Is it worth it ?

I like the stingray tone .
    Wondering if the G&L assat can produce similar to a stingray tone as well as other tones eg. of bands - incubus, muse, SOAD, oasis, suede etc

2. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

I can't comment on the tone comparison. I loved the sound of my Asat bass, and the feel of the neck, but I truly didn't care for the balance of that bass. Very long reach to the first frets and significant neck dive.

I replaced it with an L2000 sporting an SB-2 neck. THIS is a trade I would make for a Ray, not for an ASAT.

3. Crabby

Crabby

Its a tough call. Both brands are of similar quality. I owned an L2500 earlier this year and when comparing it to my Stingray5, I found the Ray a lot easier to setup and had a faster, easier to play neck. The G&L had a wide range of tones but I would likely only use one or two settings and I find that I hate tweaking on stage and just want a simpler setup.

The good news is that if you make the trade and done love the G&L, a used Stingray is relatively easy to come by.

Based on used value, the Ernie Ball basses seem to hold their value a lot better then G&L for some reason.

4. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

Thank you. Guess I won't trade..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jungy

Jungy

If you are trading face to face so you can both play each bass it may be worth it if you love it. But again, I would say (irrelevant of quality), a Stingray is usually worth more on the used market than a G&L.

7. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    G&L can't do a stingray sound
    ASAT does not come in 5 string.

8. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

If your SR5 is a pre-2008 (and thus, has the ceramic magnet pickup), you've already got the best sounding bass made (in my opinion, of course). Only matched by a Sterling 5 H, which all have the ceramic pickup and same electronics as the SR5 H.

:bag: :D

9. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

Keep forgetting to check my serial number for details of my sr5, thanks!
    Have confirmed not trading, informed the asat owner just nw.

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

ASSat. I giggled. Yeah, the intellect of a 12yo right here.

11. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

Haha, Me and my spelling error... Always !

12. StuartV

If the pickup is rectangular, with rounded shoulders on the ends, and mounting screws through the rectangular part, it's ceramic (i.e. pre-2008).

If the pickup is rectangular, but with squared off shoulders and 3 ears for the mounting screws (2 ears on one end and 1 in the middle on the other end), then it's alnico magnets.

This is an SR5 with ceramic magnet pickup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And this is a Sterling 5 H. It has a ceramic magnet pickup, but it LOOKS (almost exactly) the same as the 2008+ Stingray 5 pickup which is alnico magnets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Love that Sterling 5 H, Stuart - it's sharp!!!

- georgestrings

14. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

Wow, gorgeous Sterling 5 H!

By the way, guess I got the ceramic magnet
    [​IMG]

Thank you Stuart:)

15. Down_Low

Down_Low

If your wanting versatility then why not sell it and buy a Stingray HH or HS?

16. Justice4trance

Justice4trance

i was fickle minded to have more in one or less so that easier and more comfortable to figure.
    i decided now to stick with the latter!

17. StuartV

Thanks, George and Justice!

Justice, I think you're making a good call. Personally, I don't buy that the HS or HH is "more versatile" or "better" than the H. Both of those give up the Parallel mode that the H has and that Parallel mode sound is the classic StingRay sound that is pure awesomeness - particularly for slap bass sounds.

My G&L L-2500 has the Single Coil option, so with all the switching choices, it has, I don't know, something like 72,000 different configurations ;), with the 2 humbuckers and all the coils. And I find that I use 1 or 2 of those. Sometimes, simpler is actually better. Especially when "simple" has the sounds you really want. Personally, I feel like I don't need 10 different sounds. Or even 5. I just need 1 or 2 KILLER sounds. In the StingRay family, the single H (with ceramic pickup) gives that to me.

18. Red Planet

Red Planet

Disclosures:
    OEM Manufacturing Supplier
    J4T you made the right decision. You would regret ever parting with a Stingray. :cool: