1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Trade questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BirdThunder, Jan 6, 2014.

1. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

I'm looking to trade a brand new epiphone thunderbird classic-IV pro bass (NOT the bolt on, with gibson pups, HSC+straps) for a Fender p-bass, Is it a reasonable trade? or just plain impossible? I love this bass to death but I cannot commute with it (HSC to bulky)
  2. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

That's about right in terms of used bass value, IMO. This assumes the Fender is MIM, not MIJ or MIA.
  3. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Yeah, plus the tbird is brand new. Of course it would be MIM, can't see anyone trading a MIJ/MIA fender for an epi.
  4. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Doesn't seem a very good deal to me, a used MIM P is worth more than a Epi Thunderbird imo,
  5. ih8law

ih8law Supporting Member

The new Epi Thunderbird is way better than the old one. Set neck, real Gibson pickups. I'd pay $250-$300 for a used one if I was in the market, which is what used MIM Fenders go for.
  6. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

I know they're good basses, I had a white one but Sam Ash were doing B stock models for just over $320 before christmas http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/bstock-opinions-please-1037661/ going to hurt the used market.
  7. pfox14

pfox14

I'd trade my Epi T-bird for a MIM P-bass in a heartbeat. Not that the T-bird is a bad bass, but the P-bass is more desirable to me.
  8. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

trading it because I can't commute with it
  9. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

If I had a MIM P, it is a trade I would take.
  10. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

If you're in NYC it's a trade I would take too
  11. Din Of Win

Din Of Win

Sorry... i'm just curious:

If you can't commute with the Tbird; what would make the P more commute friendly?

I love a P, but the Tbird Pros are great basses. If you love it's sound, i'm a bit worried for you. A P bass doesn't sound like a Tbird (especially the IV Pro) at all...
  12. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

The reason why I can't commute with this is it's too heavy, lugging around with it on hardshell case, the bus driver might not even let me on the bus. I used to have a pbass with a molded case (the one that was shaped like a pbass thingy from skb) but it got stolen, it's way convenient. since it's like 2 inches shorter and 3 inches narrower and a heck lot lighter.
  13. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Try a nice padded gig bag?
  14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I think overall its a good trade. The MIM is worth more but the Epi is new so pretty fair. Both do not demand allot of $$ used anyway.
  15. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Thanks to bad decisions and medical check up for the army, I'm a bit cash strapped.

Well anyways, I'm off to look for potential "tradees". Thanks guys, cheers!
  16. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

It's a Fender standard...right? Are their any mods? If the condition is good grab it.
  17. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Nah havent found any, posted on craigslist and wanted postings here in TB. no one offered any yet. Might try Jazz bass too.
  18. frozenbolt

frozenbolt

Good luck on your trade, it sounds reasonable to me. They're both midrange instruments and if I'd have bought the P-Bass and not been enamoured with it, I'd consider the T-bird in trade.

I was lucky enough to play the T-bird a few times before commiting to buying one (at one time I was going to order it, online, not played). Ironically, I liked the T-bird's sound and feel when sitting on a stool playing it, but as soon as I stood up and put a strap on it, it just didn't hang right for me. So I can see how you say you're not 'communicating' well with it.

The Fender Jazz Bass I'm going to buy "sits" well when on a stool or strapped up and standing, so like you, I'm off the T-bird bandwagon, despite them being good basses.

Again, Good luck in your trade search, someone will come through.

Rock on,
    'Bolt
  19. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Very true, but I like the tbird even if im standing, no neck dive for me, solved by 3 inch wide strap and the strap pin located at the heel of the neck, The problem I have is commuting to the studio with it's hsc, while there is a bag, it's like a slip cover. so Tbird has to go, If I had more cash i'd probably buy a pbass, but cashstrapped so trade works for me. Thanks again!
  20. droskobass

droskobass

Disclosures:
    Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio