1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  3. Please Read:Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ for info on bumping, marking SOLD, and more.

Trade: Rickenbacker 4001 '82

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by kirkdickinson, Jan 2, 2014.

1. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

I have a Rickenbacker 4001, I ran the serial no. A while back and think it is a 1982. It is Blue.
    I think I am probably the second owner, I purchased it in 84.

It has some scratches and skuffs, but not bad. The worst thing about it is a couple cracks in the finish. Took it to a luthier about refinishing it and he thought that it would probably not increase the value. I don't know?

I have switched completely to 5 string and am moving more toward fretless. I am thinking about parting with the Rick in trade for a nice fretless 5 string bass.

I will post photos tomorrow.

2. klanger2003

klanger2003 Supporting Member

I might have something of interest for you.

3. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

OK, some photos. First The Serial Number:
    [​IMG]
    The flash picked up lots of scratches there. Many of the screws look like this from corrosion. Years of being in Ohio.

Rickenbacker says it was made in February of 1980, earlier than I remembered.
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo of the Rick in the case:
    [​IMG]

Head Stock
    [​IMG]

There is some paint scratched off the end of the headstock. There is some tarnish on the tuners, but they work fine. Needs some TLC.
    [​IMG]

Here is the back. Not many buckle scratches here
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Body - There are some finish cracks that I found were very difficult to capture on the camera.
    [​IMG]
    It currently has flatwounds on it. I had it loaned out to a Hillbilly Baptist Evangelist that did country/gospel music and he had it set up like he liked it. The strings are too high and I hate flats on the Rick. Thought he was going to buy it, but he is broke like most Hillbilly Baptist Evangelists.
    [​IMG]

Here is a photo that I cranked up the contrast in Photoshop to show the finish cracks. I drew red arrows to where they are.
    [​IMG]

Control knobs - missing two stickers, I have a set of Allparts replacements, but they are not on there yet. You can see some of the corrosion around the screw heads.
    [​IMG]

Here is the bridge pickup. I ordered a pickup cover for it in 1984 because I liked the way it looked with the cover on better and the previous owner had taken it off and lost it. There are some scratches and pitting.
    [​IMG]

I have the original Rickenbacker case. Shows a lot of wear.
    [​IMG]

I guess this bass is going to have its 34'th birthday in a month and shows some signs of age.

4. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

Free bump for a Ric that is the same exact color of the one I bought brand new in 1975.

Btw, that color is called Azureglo.

GLWTS!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

Had second thoughts for now. I may just sell this thing outright some day, but dropped into the Rickenbacker club thread for a week and now I just am not sure I want to part with it.

Thanks,

Kirk

7. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Jaydee Basses
    you really don't want to