Trader or Keeper? Your Sold to Unsold Bass Ratio

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drlndrve, Apr 11, 2014.

1. drlndrve

drlndrve Supporting Member

OK--just cause we're bored--let me know how many basses you have SOLD/TRADED vs. how many basses you CURRENTLY OWN--the UNSOLD, if you will. Let's see who can truly amaze us--are you a TRADER or a KEEPER.

I'm the OP, so I'll start. 2 SOLD (EBMM and RIC) / 6 UNSOLD.....uh, I just realized I've got a problem... Who's next?

2. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

I currently own 8 basses, out of those 8 I'd like to sell 2-4 of them. I've sold or traded 15 basses.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I have a few keepers that I use the most, gravitated by a constellation of evermoving products.
    I have owned over 50 basses and well over 100 effects. Not much movement with amps, maybe 10 since I started playing.

4. Wallace320

Wallace320

At present all of 13 bass guitars (comprising my brother's 5) aren't goin' anywhere

Still... my profile speaks by itself: gettin' not even close to the whole truth (there ain't, on purpose, no past gear detail)

Cheers,
    Wallace

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BassHappy

BassHappy

Briarcliff Manor, New York via Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Let's see, I have bought 26 plus a neck to build a new bass from. Two of the basses were purchased for parts - one for the Variax electronics and one for a Fender Japan maple board neck - both of which I had bodies made for me - and I had a custom neck with scroll headstock made for the Viola bass also.

Sold the Jazz Bass body, and the Variax neck, still have the Variax body - and sold 8 other basses, leaving me with my current count of 16.

[​IMG]

BassHappy
    www.innertainment.net

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

I've had 30 or so basses. Now I have 2 and a half.

8. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I'm a keeper. I have 9 basses, won't be selling any of them; even the cheap ones have a purpose. Wouldn't have bought any of them unless they were worth keeping.

9. MrMerrey

MrMerrey

I have never got rid of any of my basses or guitars, Even when there is something I really fancy, I can never bring my self to part with anything. Even my crappy RBX170 which is the first bass I ever owned is still going strong and I try and give it regular use.

10. Bisounourse

Bisounourse

Owned: 11 basses, of which I have sold 1 (a Peavey T-40).
    Of the 10 basses I am left with, 6 are keepers, one is a big maybe, others will be sold.

11. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

bought a cort p
    bought a cort jazz 5
    sold cort jazz 5
    bought washburn hollowbody
    bought ibanez sdgr 5
    sold ibanez
    bought musicman
    sold washburn
    bought fender jazz 5

own 3, sold 3

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS * Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Sold/traded my first 3 basses, a long time ago, from then on I have kept all I've bought, currently 7 basses.

13. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

I currently have six basses and am on the fence with three of them, the other three will never be sold. I bought and sold many times that amount. A lot were impulse buys but most were me wanting to try a particular brand or model that I didn't otherwise have access to.

14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I started playing bass over 30 years ago! I might actually have a full record somewhere, but I'm going to start at Y2K when I switched to five string.

Fender RB5 - sold
    Fender RB5 - sold
    Modulus Quantum 5 - sold
    Lull P5 - sold
    Modulus Quantum 5 - sold
    2003 Benavente 51 model 5 - still own
    2003 Benavente 51 model 5 - still own
    MTD 535 - sold
    Warwick Streamer Stage I 5 - sold
    2005 Sadowsky P5 - still own
    2009 Sadowsky P5 - sold
    2010 Sadowsky P5 - still own
    2010 Sadowsky MM5 - still own
    2013 Nordstrand PP5 - still own

Looks like I'm a trader, but the fact is I'd still own all of those instruments if I had unlimited finances and storage space.

15. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Over a 30+ year span I have bought about 25, still have 6. Two of the six are definite keepers, the other four are staying put unless a really nice trade opportunity presents itself.

Guess that makes me a trader in remission.

16. lixisoft

lixisoft Supporting Member

I have been playing bass for over 50 years, I can't remember how many basses I have sold during that time frame. I currently have around 30 or so, of which I play about the same 6 in my current rotation. Due to my increasing difficulty with arthritis I see my playing coming to an end in the very near future. I need to find good homes for my flock and decide on my final half dozen or so. I am about to become a major trader and seller very soon :meh: Every bass I own has a special memory for me, it will be hard to let some of them go, but I have to move most of them. :crying:

17. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Have been in and out of 60+ instruments in last 7-8 years when first started playing seriously, virtually all used. Lots of exploration and transition, especially growing into 5-string and fretless, figuring out best scale length, spacing and ergonomics, and inevitably moving up in price point. Just sold one; intended to sell it since finding another, almost a year ago, that fills the same niche and works better for me, but could not bring myself to do it because it was such a nice axe. Still have 7 in the house, and intend to sell 3 or 4 more, largely to fund an incoming axe at my highest price point ever, and to avoid redundancy. Ultimate goal:

4-string, flat wound, fretless

4-string flat wound, fretted

5-string, rounds, fretted

5-string, flats or rounds, fretless (currently rounds)

Optional: 5-string, rounds, fretted.

Truthfully, could function with one 4 or 5 string fretless and a 5-string fretted…maybe will get it down to that. Meanwhile, still sometimes long for some of the ones that now are gone.

Ultimate verdict: lazy trader, with packrat/collector tendencies.

18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Currently have 7 (scored an American Peavey Fury last night) and I have sold 30ish. Will be selling 1-2 of what I currently own. I flip basses from time to time, I was not hunting for "the one" with most purchases.

19. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

10:1

I've had about 50, and own 5.

20. deeptubes

deeptubes

Have sold 3, one of them I wish I had kept - '81 P Special. Currently own 6 and love them all, even the cheap one.

21. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Own six, sold one. Probably about a 50% chance I'll sell one more, but the rest aren't going anywhere.