Trader or Keeper? Your Sold to Unsold Bass Ratio

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drlndrve, Apr 11, 2014.

1. drlndrve

drlndrve Gold Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Houston, TX
    OK--just cause we're bored--let me know how many basses you have SOLD/TRADED vs. how many basses you CURRENTLY OWN--the UNSOLD, if you will. Let's see who can truly amaze us--are you a TRADER or a KEEPER.

I'm the OP, so I'll start. 2 SOLD (EBMM and RIC) / 6 UNSOLD.....uh, I just realized I've got a problem... Who's next?
  2. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Groovologist Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2011
    Erie, PA
    I currently own 8 basses, out of those 8 I'd like to sell 2-4 of them. I've sold or traded 15 basses.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a few keepers that I use the most, gravitated by a constellation of evermoving products.
    I have owned over 50 basses and well over 100 effects. Not much movement with amps, maybe 10 since I started playing.
  4. Wallace320

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    At present all of 13 bass guitars (comprising my brother's 5) aren't goin' anywhere

Still... my profile speaks by itself: gettin' not even close to the whole truth (there ain't, on purpose, no past gear detail)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Let's see, I have bought 26 plus a neck to build a new bass from. Two of the basses were purchased for parts - one for the Variax electronics and one for a Fender Japan maple board neck - both of which I had bodies made for me - and I had a custom neck with scroll headstock made for the Viola bass also.

Sold the Jazz Bass body, and the Variax neck, still have the Variax body - and sold 8 other basses, leaving me with my current count of 16.

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I've had 30 or so basses. Now I have 2 and a half.
  8. Jools4001

Jools4001 Supporting Member

I'm a keeper. I have 9 basses, won't be selling any of them; even the cheap ones have a purpose. Wouldn't have bought any of them unless they were worth keeping.
  9. I have never got rid of any of my basses or guitars, Even when there is something I really fancy, I can never bring my self to part with anything. Even my crappy RBX170 which is the first bass I ever owned is still going strong and I try and give it regular use.
  10. Bisounourse

Jun 21, 2012
    Gent, Belgium
    Owned: 11 basses, of which I have sold 1 (a Peavey T-40).
    Of the 10 basses I am left with, 6 are keepers, one is a big maybe, others will be sold.
  11. bought a cort p
    bought a cort jazz 5
    sold cort jazz 5
    bought washburn hollowbody
    bought ibanez sdgr 5
    sold ibanez
    bought musicman
    sold washburn
    bought fender jazz 5

own 3, sold 3
  12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Sold/traded my first 3 basses, a long time ago, from then on I have kept all I've bought, currently 7 basses.
  13. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    State College, PA
    I currently have six basses and am on the fence with three of them, the other three will never be sold. I bought and sold many times that amount. A lot were impulse buys but most were me wanting to try a particular brand or model that I didn't otherwise have access to.
  14. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

I started playing bass over 30 years ago! I might actually have a full record somewhere, but I'm going to start at Y2K when I switched to five string.

Fender RB5 - sold
    Fender RB5 - sold
    Modulus Quantum 5 - sold
    Lull P5 - sold
    Modulus Quantum 5 - sold
    2003 Benavente 51 model 5 - still own
    2003 Benavente 51 model 5 - still own
    MTD 535 - sold
    Warwick Streamer Stage I 5 - sold
    2005 Sadowsky P5 - still own
    2009 Sadowsky P5 - sold
    2010 Sadowsky P5 - still own
    2010 Sadowsky MM5 - still own
    2013 Nordstrand PP5 - still own

Looks like I'm a trader, but the fact is I'd still own all of those instruments if I had unlimited finances and storage space.
  15. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Over a 30+ year span I have bought about 25, still have 6. Two of the six are definite keepers, the other four are staying put unless a really nice trade opportunity presents itself.

Guess that makes me a trader in remission.
  16. lixisoft

lixisoft Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2008
    Perry Hall, Maryland
    I have been playing bass for over 50 years, I can't remember how many basses I have sold during that time frame. I currently have around 30 or so, of which I play about the same 6 in my current rotation. Due to my increasing difficulty with arthritis I see my playing coming to an end in the very near future. I need to find good homes for my flock and decide on my final half dozen or so. I am about to become a major trader and seller very soon :meh: Every bass I own has a special memory for me, it will be hard to let some of them go, but I have to move most of them. :crying:
  17. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Have been in and out of 60+ instruments in last 7-8 years when first started playing seriously, virtually all used. Lots of exploration and transition, especially growing into 5-string and fretless, figuring out best scale length, spacing and ergonomics, and inevitably moving up in price point. Just sold one; intended to sell it since finding another, almost a year ago, that fills the same niche and works better for me, but could not bring myself to do it because it was such a nice axe. Still have 7 in the house, and intend to sell 3 or 4 more, largely to fund an incoming axe at my highest price point ever, and to avoid redundancy. Ultimate goal:

4-string, flat wound, fretless

4-string flat wound, fretted

5-string, rounds, fretted

5-string, flats or rounds, fretless (currently rounds)

Optional: 5-string, rounds, fretted.

Truthfully, could function with one 4 or 5 string fretless and a 5-string fretted…maybe will get it down to that. Meanwhile, still sometimes long for some of the ones that now are gone.

Ultimate verdict: lazy trader, with packrat/collector tendencies.
  18. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Currently have 7 (scored an American Peavey Fury last night) and I have sold 30ish. Will be selling 1-2 of what I currently own. I flip basses from time to time, I was not hunting for "the one" with most purchases.
  19. snyderz

snyderz Supporting Member

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains

I've had about 50, and own 5.
  20. deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Have sold 3, one of them I wish I had kept - '81 P Special. Currently own 6 and love them all, even the cheap one.
  21. MCS4

MCS4 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Own six, sold one. Probably about a 50% chance I'll sell one more, but the rest aren't going anywhere.