1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Trading for a TecAmp Puma 350?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fistuno09, Mar 29, 2014.

1. fistuno09

fistuno09

Mar 29, 2014
    Hey guys, just wondering if I'm being stupid here...

I've got a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 but I've got a bit bored of the tone. Someone is offering me a trade for a TecAmp Puma 350. Naturally I first thought no because it's only 350W at 4ohms and only 250W at 8ohms, whereas my GB is 900W/500W.

But then I had a look online and found the TecAmp is £700! Is this amp something special?

The sound I'm after is like a clear really punchy tone, similar to Flea's from RHCP. I've owned a GK in the past but it was too heavy so decided to lighten the load with a Class-D amp.

Thanks

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I owned a Shuttle 9.0 and it's a really great amp. I now own a TecAmp Puma 500 and it's my favorite amp of all time, and for me a long time is a very long time :)

I believe the Puma 350 is the 2U Powersoft version which is a bit smoother than the ICE power module versions, so not sure if it will be as punchy as you want, strictly personal taste of course. I prefer the Powersoft over ICE models, though the difference is very subtle. In either case a great sounding and terrific amp.

3. TalkBass Friendly Advertisement

to hide this ad and more.
  4. I've never played the Puma350 and don't know much about that one. It was discontinued quite a while ago. Interestingly, I believe the 350 had a different design than the other Puma's of that era. The 350 had a class A/B power amp (like the LMII). I have no idea what impact that had on the tonality of the amp.

Not sure what to tell you. Most likely will be a VERY different tone from your Shuttle (smoother, fatter, cleaner, more relaxed in the midrange). Can't say if you would dig it or not. The new Puma500/900 are killer for sure. If someone was willing to do a Shuttle 9 for current one space Puma500, I would say do it. With the old 350, not so sure.

5. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Good points by Ken, as always. I did a little research and saw a reference to the 350 using a Powersoft PowerMod II bi-amplifier, and the 2U 500 using a Powersoft DigiMod 500. Not sure of the accuracy and what impact it would have if correct.

I can vouch for Ken's comment that the new 1U 500/900 are killer, as is the 2U 500.

6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

No doubt about it: a Puma amp is one cool killer kittie. :)

7. fistuno09

fistuno09

Mar 29, 2014
    But then again, so is the GB STL 9.0 :meh:

8. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2000
    Any info on the TecAmp Puma 300?
    What power module is in it?

9. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    You still trade 500W vs. 250W (@ 8ohms).
    If you need the power, don't do it.