Trading for a TecAmp Puma 350?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by fistuno09, Mar 29, 2014.

1. fistuno09

fistuno09

Hey guys, just wondering if I'm being stupid here...

I've got a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0 but I've got a bit bored of the tone. Someone is offering me a trade for a TecAmp Puma 350. Naturally I first thought no because it's only 350W at 4ohms and only 250W at 8ohms, whereas my GB is 900W/500W.

But then I had a look online and found the TecAmp is £700! Is this amp something special?

The sound I'm after is like a clear really punchy tone, similar to Flea's from RHCP. I've owned a GK in the past but it was too heavy so decided to lighten the load with a Class-D amp.

Thanks
  2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

I owned a Shuttle 9.0 and it's a really great amp. I now own a TecAmp Puma 500 and it's my favorite amp of all time, and for me a long time is a very long time :)

I believe the Puma 350 is the 2U Powersoft version which is a bit smoother than the ICE power module versions, so not sure if it will be as punchy as you want, strictly personal taste of course. I prefer the Powersoft over ICE models, though the difference is very subtle. In either case a great sounding and terrific amp.
  3. KJung

KJung

I've never played the Puma350 and don't know much about that one. It was discontinued quite a while ago. Interestingly, I believe the 350 had a different design than the other Puma's of that era. The 350 had a class A/B power amp (like the LMII). I have no idea what impact that had on the tonality of the amp.

Not sure what to tell you. Most likely will be a VERY different tone from your Shuttle (smoother, fatter, cleaner, more relaxed in the midrange). Can't say if you would dig it or not. The new Puma500/900 are killer for sure. If someone was willing to do a Shuttle 9 for current one space Puma500, I would say do it. With the old 350, not so sure.
  4. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Good points by Ken, as always. I did a little research and saw a reference to the 350 using a Powersoft PowerMod II bi-amplifier, and the 2U 500 using a Powersoft DigiMod 500. Not sure of the accuracy and what impact it would have if correct.

I can vouch for Ken's comment that the new 1U 500/900 are killer, as is the 2U 500.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

No doubt about it: a Puma amp is one cool killer kittie. :)
  7. fistuno09

fistuno09

But then again, so is the GB STL 9.0 :meh:
  8. Type-55

Type-55 Supporting Member

Any info on the TecAmp Puma 300?
    What power module is in it?
  9. xroads

xroads

You still trade 500W vs. 250W (@ 8ohms).
    If you need the power, don't do it.