Trading in Time!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by BassAssault, Jan 6, 2014.

1. BassAssault

BassAssault

Hello all I have a dilemma. I play in a fast paced aggressive band and my current set up allows me to have the volume I want...the tone is ok....I guess, just not quite what I want. My current setup is a zoom b3, Markbass cmdp 12 and a Mesa traditional powerhouse 115.

I have recently played the YBA 200-2 and the first note just screamed that's my tone.Volume is not a issue because I have PA support where ever I go and our rehearsal space has PA support until I can get another 115 or a 410.

Now the dilemma is should I trade in my 400 watt ss markbass for the YBA? Is the YBA well voiced for punkish type music? Should I just save up for a yba 300 or orange ad200b?? Should I just shut up and practice more??(I should always just shut up and practice more :p)
  2. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd

Doesn't sound like there's any reason not to get the Yamaha, right? You like it better and it gets loud enough
  3. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

It's a big call to say PA support is always available.

I recommend two Powerhouse 15's and the amp of your choice, but one 15 on a stand is better for less than huge gigs with PA.
  4. BassAssault

BassAssault

Sorry I should clarify the amps I am talking about is the Traynor YBA 200-2 and the Markbass combo amp with the 12 inch speaker.

Downunderwonder- I would love another powerhouse 115, kickass cabinet for sure!
  5. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Yes, go for the Traynor. It sounds like it's what you really want.

I'd also recommend going for two of the same cabs.

I'd skip the AD200B, I think they're overpriced for what you're getting. If you want to spend that much go for one of the new Mesa tube amps.
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Personally, I found the YBA 200-2 I briefly owned to be underpowered compared to most other 200-300w tube heads I have had including the Orange Thunderverb 200, Ampeg SVT-CL and Mesa D-180. The YBA 300 is the real deal IME and super loud. The Orange AD200b is also louder than the YBA 200 IME.

Most of us don't need to blow out windows, but at larger gigs with a 4x10 Sadowsky cab, I found the YBA 200-2 to be lacking in oomph. YMMV.
  7. Warwick Qc418

Warwick Qc418 Supporting Member

If you are OK with having some distortion (tube overdrive) in your sound, go for the yba200. If you want clean tube, wait for a 300w like the yba300.
  8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The 300W will be a bit louder than the 200W amp but will have more clean headroom. The YBA300 costs an extra $600. Get whichever one you can afford.
  9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

It strikes me that your problems may have something to do with your miss matched speaker systems. They possibly could be subtracting from each other rather than adding.
  10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

I agree. Tone, or volume issues can usually be attributed to spkrs, almost more than anything else.
  11. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

:cool:

Remember, You will take a bath in any trade in deal.
    You would be luck to get more than 30% it's value.
  12. BassAssault

BassAssault

Ok I follow you guys, in a ideal situation I want the same speakers. So it might actually be better to not worry about the loss of cone area for now. Get a decent amp head, I am really digging the YBA 200, and get another 115 if I need it.

I am also selling my markbass privately cause L&M is giving exactly 30 percent of the amps value...

Thanks for the opinions!
  13. Forrrest

Forrrest

don't think the YBA 300 is going to get you the same tone as the yba 200.
    you're probably enjoying the driven to max sound 200watts full throttle (punk music you said)

if you like your tone, don't change a thing! just get more of the same cabs to go louder.