Trading my Epiphone les paul for Squier Jazz bass affinity @guitarcenter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BirdThunder, Jan 25, 2014.

1. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

So i was trading my epi les paul bass but they only priced it at $90, where it can go sell for $175-$200 on e-bay, But I saw this squier jazz bass and blew me, is it worth trading my les paul bass for this?

2. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

If the Squier blew you then it could be worth quite a bit.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

The store who offered to buy it offers payment today and they take the hassle of it sitting on the wall, they also have overhead costs. Their offer seems quite fair considering what your own ebay search revealed on the used market prices. If you like the Squier, go for it, you can find Squier Affinity basses all day long for under $100 though. I would personally buy both if you like them.

4. ReiPsaeg

ReiPsaeg

Yeah, I've never heard of a bass doing that before. Definitely pick that one up.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Reddog01

Reddog01

I'm not sure you really have gotten an answer to your question yet. Heres the deal; the store will give you about 50% of what they will price it for resell . You are correct when you see that they are offering you about half of what you can sell it for. If you want to take that kind of hit, go for it, but you will come out ahead if you are patient. You can sell it yourself, put twice as much in your pocket, and apply it toward your new Squire. I live in the Austin area, and I see Squire Jazz basses all around. I'm sure you can find one that you will be in love with a week or two from now.

7. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

$90 is fair if you are not willing to do the work to post and sell it. If you're time is that valuable I dont think you would be on TB though.

8. Bitterdale

Bitterdale Natural Born Lurker Supporting Member

Consider this: $200 less ebay's 10% is $180. Average price to ship a bass is about $40 - leaving $140. Paypal will take about $6 from the transaction leaving only $134 for you, unless you had to buy packing materials.

Selling through eBay is not as profitable as it use to be. I would take the trade or try to Craigslist it for $150.

9. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

[​IMG]

;)

10. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

^haha.

People dont really get the pain of selling basses tell they do it. I have done it hundreds of times now. The tire kickers, the time waster's, the people that say they will be there are 4pm and dont show up , or they show up at 5:30. The people that say I will call you and never do . The people that disregard a fair and firm price and lowball you. The people that agree on a price and when you meet up they try to chip $5 and then repost the thing for sale for more thus trying to profit from you. Not to mention the time spent dealing with shipping, the risk of the item breaking, the time spent packing or having strangers in you're house.

What GC offered you is fair for you simply walking in and handing them you're bass. Personally I would put in on CL though for trade towards a "jazz bass". If you wait someone may offer you a actual MIM Fender or a higher end squier.

11. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Consider this; GC is doing another Trade-In Expo this weekend. That means a qualifying trade-in will take off 15% of the price of a new bass. If the Affinity is new, you'll be able to apply $90 AND take that 15% off the sticker price.

So, let's say the Squier Affinity Jazz is going for $180 (dunno if it's a fiver or not). That'd be $90 for the trade-in and $27 off for the discount. The Affinity would come to somewhere around $63 plus tax, or $80 if it's a five-stringer. No time spent on photographing/boxing/shipping or meeting up with strangers via Craigslist. And if you've already gotten a great vibe from said Affinity…BONUS!!

I did this last year when I bought my first brand-new bass, a Fender Blacktop Jazz. I got $75 for a trade-in and another $75 off during the Expo.

Do bear in mind, if it's used, on clearance or Scratch-and-Dent, then you'll only be able to apply the trade-in value. Also, the Trade-In Expo is only going until the end of the weekend.

12. BirdThunder

BirdThunder

Btw the situation was the buyer for my les paul bass backed out, and I don't wanna march around the city carrying 2 basses (I brought my thunderbird for practice too), so I thought fck it and sell it to GC, good thing was there was another buyer and sold it to him for $200. The squier jazz bass at guitarcenter was used, $150 for it. Always dreamt of having a p or j-bass, might go back to the store later to check it again.

13. marko138

marko138

Knowing you can get one brand new for only $30 dollars more I wouldn't pay $150 for the used Affinity. As was said in this thread, you can find them fairly easily for under $100 on CL.

I picked up a magnificent Affinity P for $55 bucks on CL.