Trading Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 for Sterling Ray 4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Never_grew_up, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Never_grew_up

Never_grew_up

Went into my local GC the other day & just for kicks played a Sterling Ray 4 for the 1st time. I really liked it.
    They also had a Schecter Stiletto Custom 4 (which is what I currently own) so I was able to A/B them and still really liked the Sterling. The only difference between the Stiletto in the store and mine is that I've modded mine to use 2 batteries and run at 18V instead of 9. The EMG web site says that's supposed to give better headroom or something like that.

Anyway I'm thinking of taking my Stiletto in to A/B against the Sterling and if I still like it trying to trade for it.

Does this seem foolish? Am I trading down in value?
    New Schecter Stiletto's are $550, used on ebay in the $350-$400 range (I got mine with HS case for less) and the Sterling is $289.

2. Sollie7

Sollie7 Supporting Member

At $289 why not just buy the sterling or if you dont think you'll use the shector then sell it on ebay an profit $100

3. Reddog01

Reddog01

If you will permit me, I'd like to piggyback on this post. Every time I go into my local Guitar Center, I seem to be drawn to the Stilettos they have there. I currently play an Ibby SR300, and I find that the necks feel very similar. Is the Stiletto any kind of a step up from what I have?

4. Maxdusty

Maxdusty Supporting Member

At $289, you must be talking about the Sterling Sub. Bought one last week (make sure to ask if there are any promo discounts going on- I got 15% off ). I was actually trying out a few basses including the Stiletto and a few high end Ibbys. Really, the Sub is amazing value I have to say.
    I even played it alongside a true blue Ernie Ball Stingray and it's pretty close to the sound of one, the neck on the Sub is slimmer which I prefer.

It didn't come home with me (that day anyway) because I really wanted the Mint green color and all they had were the satin black ones, so while at the store, I ordered one and had it shipped to my house from the Tennessee branch. It arrived a couple of days ago and playing it next to my Spector and Tobias, I have to say I love this thing a bit better!

Now in terms of whether you're trading down in value, monetary speaking yes, but imo you'll be getting a better bass for less. I had a hard time wrapping my head around that, - I went into GC with more money in my pocket and had a budget of around $500, I walked away with a bass that was half that cost, (as it was the best of any bass guitars I tried within the $0-600 price range). Yes I was tempted to buy a 4 string AND a 5 string Sub but marital responsibilities got the better of me, and the extra money saved I gave to my wife for her art hobby. :) Still have my eye on the 5 string, although from what I know, there's a honeyburst finish that'll be available next month.

FYI- I sold a MIM Fender Jazz bass V in order to help fund this purchase, so was I trading down? No... Imo, I got the better bass for me, and got extra money in my pocket to boot. Rather than trading for the sub, either keep the Stiletto or sell it on CL (get more money for it) then buy the Sub.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jimfist

jimfist Supporting Member

I like both! got a sterling Ray34ca and I like it for that MM tone and simplicity (one pickup), but kept my Schecter Stiletto Studio 4 for its versatility. I think that the Stiletto line of basses are a great product line for the money. I'm down to just two now, but had as many as four at one time. The Sterling stuff is pretty good, too, when you can find a good one.