Traditional Sound on Shen SB88

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by byrdzeye, Dec 2, 2013.

1. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

I just purchased a 6-month old Shen SB88, and am very happy with it (Upton setup). However, I don't like the feel of the Helicore Pizzicato Lights that came with it. I would prefer something with a softer feel on my fingertips, but with a full, slightly "old timey" sound. True guts are out of my price range, but I'm considering things like the Zyex, Velvet or Innovation. UB is new to me, but I've been playing EB for too many decades, and love the Rotosound RS66's on my Jazz bass and Steinberger fretless, especially for their musical expression. My SB88 has the Full Circle pickup, which sounds great so far. Any comments from others with Shen or similar instruments? Thanks!

2. LowG

LowG

Velvet Garbo is great for that sound (as long as you're not working on learning to bow - they bow less easily than other strings. I can bow them fine, but I already knew how to bow)

3. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Thanks, LowG. I'm strictly pizz, as I don't even own a bow (yet, he says). Playing old standards, folk, swing, and some bluegrass in an acoustic trio, and seldom use an amp (G-K MB150S). Gotta say, I do love this bass so far.

4. bskts247

bskts247

Try the Innovation Super Silvers

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Will Kelly

Will Kelly Gold Supporting Member

A set of Lenzner guts is around $250. Might as well get the real deal and see if ya like it, cause what you're describing is the way guts sound. You dont need to spend six bills on a good set of guts the first go around.

7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Easy. Pirastro Obligatos. They're very soft feeling string with a big sound that works for orchestral and jazz situations. I've put them on several Shens and the instrument sounded amazing.

8. byrdzeye

byrdzeye

Thanks, folks, these have been added to my "research" list. :) So much to learn!

9. bassist14

bassist14

10. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

Innovation SilverSlaps have about the same tension as gut. I have used them with lower tension naked gut G and D on A and E, but they also sound good as a complete set pizzed. For a few bowed notes you can put some rosin on the bowing area of the string.

If you want bowable strings, maybe get Innovation Braided Solo strings (tuned to orchestra tuning).