1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Transcribing... Drum solos?

Discussion in 'Tablature [BG]' started by Jamerman, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Jamerman

Jamerman

I have a book called "The jazz bass book: technique and tradition" which I highly recomend, as the concepts it says about double bass also apply to electric bass.

However it has a list of things to do, and starts listing things like "Transcribe saaphone solos" or "Transcribe guitar parts", but then says "transcribe drum solos" which confuses me a bit.

Would this mean transcribing it in drum notation and then assigning a note to each thing hit, because I can't really imagine how a bass player would benefit from transcribing sounds they can't replicate.
  2. eloann

eloann Supporting Member

The point here isn't to replicate anything with your bass, though you probably could find ways.

First some people don't even know drums can be transcribed, so that will teach them that (with the basics X for cymbals and O for skins). May come in handy if you ever want a drummer to play something note for note - or rather hit for hit.
    It's also a great pure rythmic exercise - I remember a teacher saying only rhythm and dynamics truly matter, notes are just icing on the cake. The more I play the more I find it to be true.
    Finally it will help understand the way drums work and more specifically what clues to look for when you have to keep time during a drum solo.
  3. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

I'm a drummer too, they are transferrable.

If you look at it in purely rhythmic terms, you can adapt and transcribe rhythms easily - especially with most drum solos that are driven by ostinati. Pitch is in there too. I would look at the bass drum as being a 'fundamental' note and then the toms being the melodic section over the top, with the snare and cymbals providing accents over the melody.

I wouldn't be worrying, I'd just be doing. That's the best way of learning how you can transcribe effectively. You're not trying to replicate, you're trying to imitate.
  4. Jamerman

Jamerman

Thank you very much Mr Maximus