1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Transcriptions - the big thread (NO COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE STUFF! THANKS.)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassybill, Jun 12, 2011.

1. bassybill

bassybill The smooth moderator... Supporting Member

I thought this would be more appropriate here than anywhere else as the content could be useful for general practice. The idea is to post any transcriptions that you have done yourself in standard notation that you think may be fun or of general interest (even just for reading practice) to anyone else. Please, no tab only charts, there's a separate forum for that (although notation with accompanying tab might be helpful for some folks). If GI mods think this should be moved, please go ahead.

Okay, here we go...

My band is covering the Cee Lo Green number "Forget You" and on the original the bass part is a little tricky in the middle section (from 2:45 until 3:15 in this video - safe for work, it's the clean version).

YouTube - ‪Cee Lo Green - Forget You‬‏

The guy arranging this for our band took the easy way out with this, so here's my note for note transcription of that section. The bit referred to above is very obviously bars 13-28 in this chart, but I started and ended with the main riff just for context. Let me know if you find this fun and if you like the idea of the thread.

Attached Files:

2. aidan784

aidan784

I think it's a great idea for a thread Bill, there are a few gems in the tab forum that people have posted because they weren't sure where to put them. I'll have a look and post some links.

I'm on my phone now but I had quick look at your forget you transcription and I think there were a few differences with what I came up with. But that's probably down to me, I'm not the best at transcribing, this thread may inspire me to work harder at it though if it becomes quite popular! Good job Bill.
  3. kiat

kiat

Good idea bassybill. Shame there is not a Transcriptions forum in it;s own right though! I added my links into the TAB forum but it felt out of place. Personally transcriptions suit me better, though an accompanying TAB can be helpful if I ever get hung up on the fingering.

There's Bass Transcriptions : websites and books on my blog which has links to hundreds of other musician's stuff mostly R&B/soul/funk/jazz. I'm starting to transcribe main licks to covers for myself, if they don't already exist. But I don't feel I've got enough musical theory to do proper full transcriptions just yet.
  4. bassybill

Hmmm - this could be problematic. My fault, I should have anticipated this issue and been clear about it.

Reproducing anybody's stuff in any form is a breach of copyright / intellectual property and I personally (as an individual, as well as a TB mod) try to be sensible about this. I don't think bits and pieces we've transcribed ourselves for fun (like in the OP) will be a problem as it's not for financial gain. But posting other people's commercially available work where copyright is plainly asserted in the document is very definitely a no no.

So please, only post stuff you have transcribed yourself. No material whatsoever should be hosted on TB in a format that is on sale elsewhere. I'll amend the thread title accordingly and check with our admin guys that this is going to be okay if everyone adheres to these guidelines. I'll close this temporarily while I get their input.

kiat, thanks for your input above - I've edited your post to reflect what I've said here.
  5. bassybill

Well, I'm going to go ahead with this on the basis that as long as no material is hosted here on TB that asserts copyright or is on sale commercially, then no harm = no foul, unless I hear a definitive answer from someone more knowledgable than I am about this.

So, as a reminder - your own transcriptions only please.

Please could mod and admin colleagues step in and close it if this is not in order - thanks.
  6. jacojbass

jacojbass Supporting Member

7. Intenzity

Intenzity Supporting Member

I have quite a few on my blog -

http://bassoridiculoso.blogspot.com

And yes, they are all ones I have done myself, and they are all free.

They range from some good solid easy rock ones (Styx, Bowie), to more complex, including Clifford Brown, Paul Chambers, John Coltrane, McCoy Tyner, Bill Evans, Sam Jones on "Autumn Leaves" and Jeff Berlin.

There is also a feature called "Daily Licking" that has shorter licks and phrases you can see and hear thanks to Bopland.org.

And all the transcriptions are in bass clef for us bass players.
  8. bassybill

Nice work, people - thanks guys.
  9. Stumbo

Stumbo Supporting Member

Over 200 free TRANSCRIPTIONS : Arcellus Sykes: Bassist

Over 96,000 free classical works: http://imslp.org/wiki/Main_Page
    Welcome to the Petrucci Music Library! Our goal is to create a virtual library containing all public domain music, as well as music from composers who are willing to share their work with the world without charge. If you are interested in contributing, please visit this page to learn more! For more information, visit this page.

Searchable/categorized by:
    Browse Scores and Books
    Composer Name
    Composer Time Period
    Composer Nationality
    Search Scores and Books
    Search by Melody (beta)
    Genre, Instrumentation (including trombone,double bass), or Language
    Browse Recordings
    Composer Name
    Performer Name
  10. Intenzity

Intenzity Supporting Member

11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player Supporting Member

12. DONZI97

DONZI97

Bumping this, because its such a good thread for someone like me who is just learning how to read.....
  13. bassybill

Okay - obviously, I have not done these myself. but they are in the public domain and free for educational use, so I don't think it's wrong to share them here.

Stefan Redtenbacher - Transcriptions - funkybassonline.com

I'll post more of my own stuff as we go along. Trouble is, I'm great at starting transcriptions but lousy at finishing them!
  14. leftiebass

leftiebass

Stefan Redtenbacher - Transcriptions - funkybassonline.com

these are more like chord charts - don't see bass lines.
    (only checked a few).
  15. bassybill

I think you must have been unlucky. Check a few more. :)
  16. leftiebass

leftiebass

Right - I had tried Bernadette, and For Once in My Life.
  17. biggs1249

biggs1249

Gloria's Step LaFaro's solo off of Sunday at the Village Vanguard(I forget which take. I think 2)

Armageddon Blues - Gary Willis Solo from his solo album Bent

both of these are just the first couple choruses. Youll have to do the rest yourselves.
    -Andrew
  18. bassybill

I only just noticed that those two had "cs" after the titles, maybe for "chord sheet" or "chord symbols". The big majority on there are in standard notation and the ones I have played myself from his page have been pretty carefully transcribed. I'm glad you went and took another look as I think it's an interesting collection.
  19. bassybill

Here's my latest... "I Shoulda Loved Ya" by Narada Michael Walden, bass by T. M. Stevens.

http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/I Shoulda Loved Ya BASS Bass Guitar.pdf

YouTube link:
    YouTube - ‪Narada Michael Walden - I Shoulda Loved Ya‬‏

I couldn't find a transcription online anywhere so I did my own, up until the end of the bass solo section as it's just repeats after that. It's not 100% accurate, but I think I would find this useful if I wanted to play this tune. I've left out the ghost notes because you should be funky enough to put those in yourself. :D
  20. bassybill

Here's another one I just wrote out for TBer Juggo. This is about as close as I'm going to get right now - it's not far off, though. I didn't write out the solo between bars 87 and 102, just left it as the riff 'cos I got bored. Lol. I might go back and have another go later in the week to put that right.

I mainly do soul and funk stuff rather than rockin' numbers, so this was a nice change for me. Good number for metalheads who fancy a challenge!

YouTube - ‪Hard Corps: Uprising - Stage 1 Desert Theme‬‏

http://www.billygreen.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Hard Corps - Uprising First Stage Theme Electric Bass.pdf

(Another one where you'll need to drop tune to D or use a 5er, by the way.)