1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Transformer based preamp/tone pedal???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by giglawyer, Dec 6, 2013.

1. giglawyer

giglawyer Supporting Member

I clicked on a Facebook ad the other day for a pedal company that advertised preamp and/or tone pedals with dual transformers that came out of the top of the pedal case - almost like tubes. It was interesting. I thought I bookmarked the page to look at it further, but forgot. Ugh. Now, after searching the interwebz high and low, I can't find it.

Anyone know who makes these pedals, or what they are called?

2. giglawyer

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Interested to find out.

4. giglawyer

Wow, I can't believe no one else has seen this. I will dig deeper through Google.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

First place to look is your browser history...

7. giglawyer

This is what I was looking for...

The Analogtone Tonewire pedals. Anyone heard of/used one of these?

EDIT: I am not even sure these are for sale yet. Looks like they are still being tested, and some post I read said they will likely retail for around $300.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    OK I read their site and watched their vid. Seems legit for the application they suggest, adding subtle tonal thickness to a recorded track. I've used several other transformer devices for the same purpose and liked the results quite a lot. Worth noting that this one is designed for line-level audio, so you would need to run it after your amp's preamp.

9. Rob22315

Rob22315

From an electrical engineering standpoint, using transformers for this is really old school. At one time, we even used transformers as amplifiers - cleverly referred to as magamps. We discussed their operating principles once in undergraduate EE (back in the 80's) and I never thought I'd see them again until I took some training in nuclear plant controls. Stuff designed before the emergence of transistors in the 50s cleverly used the linear and nonlinear aspects of magnetic cores for things we do nowadays with solid state components.

In the end, if it sounds good, go for it.

10. therhodeo

therhodeo

Just want to point out that this company is a good example of how to never let people find you by internet search.