1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Transformer help?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassista, Apr 13, 2014.

1. bassista

bassista

Hi!
    I'm playing a show in Europe this summer and I wanted to ask if anyone could please recommend a transformer I should buy for my gear. I have a full-out pedal board, but I'm willing to just bring one pedal if needed. I plan on renting a bass and amp there, but need to plug my pedals in to convert their 220 power to our 110.

I found bunch of options on line but not sure if there is a standard/favourite for musicians that I don't know about?

Also, is it possible to plug in our power bar into these thing with say 6 pedals plugged into it?

C

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

What pedals are you planning on using?

Unlike amplifiers which usually have an inbuilt transformer to convert AC (from the wall) to DC, most pedals have a wall wart type plug (transformer in the plug), so the AC to DC conversion happens outside the pedal.

So, depending on what you are using, it might be easier just to get the 220v plug for your pedals - instead of something to convert 220 to 110 and keeping the plugs you already have.

3. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

If you do want a converter, you want to see what the maximum draw from your pedals will be (probably won't be too high) and get a step down transformer with sufficient juice.

4. bassista

bassista

I normally have a BOSS RC20XL Loop Pedal, Ibanez Echo Pedal, BOSS Chorus, BOSS Synth Pedal, Morley Wah Wah, and Distortion Pedal.

I plug all of my pedals into an Ibanez Adapter that's able to plug in more than one pedals at the same time and my loop pedal is plugged in separately. the two adapters are plugged into a power bar that I just plug into the power source.

Worse case I would just bring my loop pedal and plug it into the 220 plug you are suggesting?

Thanks!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Check the plug on your loop pedal (actually, check the other plug you use too).

What are the ratings? More and more often you'll find they have an input range instead of a single value.

For instance, you'll quite often seen:

Input : 100v - 240v ~50/60Hz

If your plugs say something along those lines, you'll be golden and just need a mechanical adapter.

7. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

[​IMG]

I don't know what the yellow text is about, I just pulled it from google images as an example of the bit to check.

8. bassista

bassista

Great thanks a lot for your help!
    I checked and my adapter says 100-240V like you said so that's good. So sounds like if I bring my pedal with my adapter, I can just pick up one of these wall plugs, plug the adapter in and I'm ready to to with my pedal.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

9. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

If they say that, then you're golden!

The one you posted looks fancy (like it is more than just a plug - fancy).

You should be able to get away with a couple of these :

[​IMG]

(Depending on where your gig in Europe is, we have different plugs in the UK for instance).

10. line6man

line6man

Keep in mind that these stepdown transformers are typically rated for 40 to 60 Watts. This should be sufficient for pedals, but if you have anything that draws a lot of current, double check that the total load will not exceed the limit.

11. bassista

bassista

Perfect, thanks for your help!