Transition to fretless or a better amp?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by SlapPopBass, Mar 27, 2014.

1. SlapPopBass

SlapPopBass

First off, I'm gonna apologize first because this is one of those threads that fall under the "upgrade bass or amp" questions that I believe many of you have come to hate. However, my situation and circumstances do differ slightly, and I am honestly in need of some guidance from the gurus from TB.

My current main setup consists of a 15 watt combo Peavey MAX 158 and a Squier VM Jazz. The amp is small, but it gets the job done, namely home practice as well as small jam sessions. The Squier, I believe and perceive it to be a decent bass considering its price. It does have its issues, some fretbuzz here and there, but I learn to deal with it. Tone-wise, I'm good with the slap tone, but the fingerstyle tone to me is just "meh". Overall I'm reasonably satisfied with the bass, but its lacks THE sound I am looking for.

A couple months ago, I got the chance to try out a fretless Cort B4 at my local guitar shop, and immediately liked the tone of that bass. It had a good amount of mwah, and looked and felt awesome in my hands. I decided to start saving up for it.

Up to now, my main focus has been constant practicing, learning theory and technique as well as composing and doing covers on youtube. I plug my bass directly into a DI box to record.

However, recently I joined a newly formed Band Club in my college. The college itself has put together a small jam room of sorts with a 100 watt marshall guitar amp and a drum set. The school board informed me that a bass amp has been ordered, but currently I have to rely on my own since the college bass amp is still not in.

Now, my question is now, based on my story, is do I now upgrade to the fretless bass that I have been yearning? Or do I divert my savings to get a new amp in order to keep up with the band in my college? Or just wait until the bass amp the college ordered comes in, and start using that?

Sorry for the essay, folks, but any sagely advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
  2. john m

john m Supporting Member

You need a better (bigger) amp anyway.

Get the best USED amp you can afford.
  3. JimmyThunder

JimmyThunder Supporting Member

If you are playing thru a Peavey 15 watter, it's no mystery why you think it lacks "THE sound". When you played the fretless at a store and liked the tone better, was it through a bigger amp?

If you're going to play in a band or take the instrument seriously, you're going to need to upgrade that amp no matter what. You can buy a custom Fodera and plug it into that Peavey and it's not going to sound very good. Sure maybe your school will eventually get a decent amp for the band room but that doesn't affect your needs anywhere outside the school's band room.
  4. bass_case

bass_case Used Register Supporting Member

Not knowing your financial situation, but unless you need a larger amp for gigs, let the school buy the amp. You're giving them big bucks already.

I don't know anything about Cort basses.You may find that playing a fretless in a band is a lot more challenging. Takes some work to master intonation. May be worthwhile to get your current bass checked to resolve your buzz issues. Good luck!
  5. Register to disable this ad