1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Transitioning to Bass - Need songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Lobomov, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov

Hi Everyone

I've gotten the urge to play bass, so I've picked up a nice used bass .. an impulse buy.

(Artistic pause to show it off .. I especially like it's playability)
    [​IMG]

I've been playing guitar for ages and also drums at onepoint, so I'm not really worried about not being able to move my fingers quick enough or my ear and sense of rhythm. Obviously there are some stamina issues, especially with my right hand, but I'm confident.

I don't plan on looking into slap and such tho (at least right of the bat) :)

But ok, what I'm after are new or old song with great bass lines in popular music (pop, funk or rock). Something not to simple to shed to get my chops up to sped before I go looking for a band. I don't have any ambition of torturing the world with original music. Just to have fun and if lucky make the ladies dance.

I'm kinda blank with regards to songs and bass players.

From my own back catalog I can come up with Jack Bruce, John Paul Jones, Sting and Benard Edwards ghosting John Taylor in Duran Duran. Or on a more wierd note Mick Karn from the band Japan doing cool stuff on a fretless Wal. That is where I left of.

Yep I'm 40 and haven't played music outside my bedroom for a life time .. kids and such you knows. So I'm out of the loop.

So I'd greatly appreciate it if you'd help me out with some cool inspiration, so I don't end up just playing guitar on a bass :D

2. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    Work with the song called Colibri by Incognito. A great right hand fingerstyle workout. Bassist is Randy Hope Taylor. He also played with Jeff Beck. On the R&B tip, The song Glow of Love by the group called Change. For funk, the song called Watching You by the group called Slave. Mark Adams is the bassist. Saturday by Earth Wind and Fire. Another great fingerstyle by EWF is Celebrate or Celebration?

3. mojomike001

mojomike001

Virtually every piece of pop music ever has a bass line. Motown, Beatles, Stones, Pop Standards, Jazz, Metal, all of it... Each genre has it's share of great bassists and great bass lines.

Just begin to key in on the bass line when you listen to whatever kind of music you happen to like. If you get hooked on bass, you won't be able to help but to pay attention to the bass lines.

4. Lobomov

Lobomov

Off course it does .. the point is, that after being out of the loop for long. Getting inspired by songs that are liked and recommend by other bass players is a nice filter to have instead of just going brute force on random songs like Call Me Maybe.

My own CD collection ends in 1987 and actually contains none of the 70s style dance music like Philly recommended me :)

5. Register to disable this ad