Transparent Combo?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TwoRivers, Jan 24, 2014.

1. TwoRivers

TwoRivers Supporting Member

I'm currently using an Ampeg PF-500 and PF-115he cabs. I'm run through FOH everywhere I play, and I figure that's 95% of what people hear. While I like the sound and portability of my PF rig, I'm interested in finding something with a more natural sound reproduction, more like the PA would produce. I want to get a better idea of what people are hearing and how my pedals/bass are affecting that sound. What would you guys recommend? As far as wattage/speakers, the rig will primarily be used for home practice and monitoring on stage. The PF-500 and one of the 15" cabs usually cover me fine. I've only had to use the second one a few times on outdoor gigs when a crappy PA was supplied.
  2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

I am assuming you can by pass the EQ in the PF-500 if you need to via the effects return. Send your pedals there (or to the regular pre-amp in), and then out to a 12/6/1 fEARful.
  3. TwoRivers

TwoRivers Supporting Member

You are absolutely right. That can be done. I was looking for a combo, but getting a new cab only is certainly an option.
  4. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

What about an Acoustic Image? They are "transparent" and combos, though not that loud, and not cheap.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

my only advice would be, be cautious about the concept of transparency from the get-go. No amp or cab is acoustically transparent, all of them will impart some tonal influence. Greenboy cabs have a rep for "only reproducing what you put it them" but there are many here who feel they also impart a certain kind of character. Good if you want that, less good if you don't.

I suppose if your goal is to hear your bass as it sounds through a PA, perhaps pickup a current gen power amp and a PA style 2way or 3way cab from Carvin or JBL or whoever. I believe the Greenboy journey was somewhat influenced way back by the use of one of the Carvin LS series 3 way PA cabs.
    (by saying this, please GB fans, do not offer a lecture on the holy provenance of the GB designs - I mean no disrespect :))

The trick will always be the preamp section and the inherent voice of that element in the signal chain. You could try a small PA style mixer and just not boost any of the eq settings.

I am not at all sure you will be able to get what you seek in any combo amp that I am aware of.

good luck
  7. DogBone

DogBone

If you're set on a combo your quick answer is a KEYBOARD amplifier.

But your BEST answer would be something like this:

[​IMG]

Great, great advice! :hyper:

And yeah, indeed, the fEARful evolved from experiments using and modifiying the older Carvin LS 1503 cabs for bass.

[​IMG]
  8. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    True, but some less than others. I have bass cabs that pull double duty as home stereo speakers and/or home studio monitors. One of my bass cabs has been specified (by the acoustician) for tracking monitor duty in a professional recording studio that is under construction.

Greenboy's new fEARless line of cabs uses a midrange driver that, in my opinion, is a better match for this sort of application.