Transparent DI Suggestions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kleinenenten, Dec 5, 2013.

1. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I'm in the market for a transparent DI. The trick is, I want more than JUST a DI. I'm currently thinking of either the Bassbone, or the Enabler. I'm also open to other suggestions, as I'm new to the DI thing. I'm also in no rush to get these, just looking to slowly upgrade my rig, and I feel this is the next purchase for me. Anyway, here's how it's going at the moment, with my pros/cons for each, and what I'm thinking of in terms of everything.

Bassbone:
    Pros - Boost channel, separate levels for 2 basses, effects loop?, cheaper than the Enabler

Cons - 15v supply would eat up space and might limit distance pedal board could be from the amp as well as being difficult to power with a multiple power supply, effects loop might not be what I'm hoping it can do (pedal chain etc. issues potentially)

Enabler:
    Pros - Headphone amp (recently moved into a condo, and my half stack for practice is too much, thought of getting a headphone amp for this reason anyway), seems a bit simpler to run, runs on 9v which I have available

Cons - More expensive, might not level my basses as well (is the master good enough for total volume?), have heard it colors the sounds slightly, which I don't want

Basically, which would suit my needs better? I'm wanting a headphone amp as a quiet practice alternative. I've looked at the VOX Amphones Bass as a possibility, but can't find much about it. If I get the Enabler, it's already more expensive, and I'll need decent headphones to use it for practice at home, and that will add $, but then I'll easily be practicing with my FX so I can toy with new stuff as well. The Bassbone is solid and would fix my problem with my two main basses being vastly different volumes (I like their sounds, but have to retool my settings when I switch basses), but I'm thinking of upgrading the electronics in one of those anyway at some point in the near future. Any input at all? Or do I just have way too many variables in here and need to sort stuff out first?

2. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

If you absolutely need something for different basses then yeah the bassbone would better suit you. But the enabler does not color your tone at all. It only makes what you have better. And the headphone amp doesn't necessarily need better headphones, I use cheapo $20 headphones and it's still better sounding than most mixers I've used for silent practice. Ultimately you have to decide what you want more..

3. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

I wish there was a way to use headphones with the Bassbone. Then I'd be done!

4. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Got a deal on a used GK MB200. Gets my tone, works as DI, headphone amp, and still works in my band mix (which I thought wouldn't be possible for such a small amp). Everything I wanted, and more! Plus much less than the Enabler!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    By transparent, I assume you mean not altering the sound of your bass. Then you want to add EQ. I'd just go with a Radial JDI.

7. kleinenenten

kleinenenten

Yeah, that's what I wanted for a DI, but then I realized "my sound" involved GK's EQ. Hence the MB200 solution. All the sound of my big rig, but portable and mounted on my pedalboard.

8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Oh, don't get me wrong, I love that little amp. It is very clean.